Apple tree leaf problem.

• 2 Replies

Goosegirl

Apple tree leaf problem.
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:43 »
A couple of branches on an apple tree have leaves that don't look very well. Since I took these pics the other day they've dropped off. There is another apple tree with branches almost touching this one which seems ok except for just a couple of eaves that look a bit burnt along the edges. Does anyone know what is causing this?
P1010673 (600 x 574).jpg
P1010672 (600 x 437).jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Apple tree leaf problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 11:28 »
Hi GG,

When you mentioned leaves looking burnt along the edges on some branches my first thought was 'fireblight' , but with fireblight the dead leaves normally stay on rather than drop off. Scab can affect the leaves too, but it doesn't look right for that either.

There could be more than one thing going on, but I think perhaps it's a mineral deficiency that the hot weather has brought on suddenly.

Potash deficiency can cause brown edges and a bit of leaf curling, which also looks like drought, and potassium is involved in the movement of both water and other nutrients.

The second photo where the veins of the leaves still look green but the leaf in between has died looks like it should be quite distinctive, and I'm thinking that's maybe magnesium deficiency - if you search for 'magnesium deficiency apple leaf' some of the images of that online look similar to your leaves.

G&R

Goosegirl

Re: Apple tree leaf problem.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 13:45 »
Thanks GR. I did think of fire-blight but it looked too zonal. The update is that I now have two bare branches and some of the leaves on other branches look to be going the same way. TBH, this tree (and the other five) in the little orchard area were cut right down to leave big stumps before we came here last June. In autumn I cut the resulting branches that grew to open up the centre and trimmed the side shoots to hopefully form fruiting spurs. This year we had late frosts and the trees didn't start leafing until late April. As the poorly tree has one big stump that produced no growth and the bark at the bottom of the other two where they join has possibly got canker, I think the best thing to do it to cut it right down to the ground and kill it off.

xx
Apple leaf problem

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 17:32
by barney rubble
xx
Leaf Curle on Apple Tree

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 08:06
by Sleepingpopman
xx
Pear tree leaf problem...

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 19:55
by Yorkie
xx
Pear tree, leaf problem

Started by Foxy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 06:58
by vegikev

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 38 queries.