smoke bomb ???

• 15 Replies

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
smoke bomb ???
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:47 »
my mum asked me the other day if i was going to use a smoke bomb to fumigate my greenhouse, i didn't have a clue what she was on about, she says it kills the bugs. is this necessary? and if so where do i get one?

paintedlady

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:55 »
smoke bombs used to contain chemicals such as formaldehyde - not only killed the insect life but also any fungal and bacterial life too.  Didn't do your health any good either if you breathed it in. :shock:

I've not seen a smoke bomb in over 25 years, and considering what it used to contain (formaldehyde is classed as a carcinogen), I don't know if they are still being sold or if it is packaged as something else.  You could try a garden centre or an old fashioned ironmongers/hardware shop if there is one near you.

Unless you have had some serious infestations recently, I think a good clean and wash with something like Jeyes fluid (diluted!) should do the trick :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

lucywil

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 13:34 »
ok, thanks for that, i didn't want to do it anyway, but she sounded like she knew what she was talking about, mum knows best!!!!

drdave

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 15:40 »
They probably mean a sulphur candle rather than a smoke bomb. This is a slow burning tin of sulphur that produces sulphur dioxide. In moisture sulphurous acid forms and kills all life within the greenhouse. I used one this winter and it worked.
All the galvanised fittings like Vine eyes got ruined by the aggressive rusting that occurred however, and our garden was 2C warmer due to local global warming!! :lol:

noshed

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 15:43 »
A good scrub with J fluid or detergent should be enough
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

paintedlady

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 16:14 »
Quote from: "drdave"
They probably mean a sulphur candle rather than a smoke bomb. This is a slow burning tin of sulphur that produces sulphur dioxide. In moisture sulphurous acid forms and kills all life within the greenhouse

:shock:

you don't want to be breathing that in either!

.... I think I've been in the business too long.  Even my leisure time turns into a series of COSHH and Risk assessments .... :roll:

crackedflowerpots

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 16:54 »
my OH said he used these 'smoke bombs' to fumigate morturaries and matresses in hospital when ppl died but then that was over 30 years ago ... it might be safe now :lol:  but dont risk it! :roll:
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

wighty

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 17:57 »
We did ours yesterday with a sulphur candle which we have always used.  The cone shaped ones which were specifically for white/green fly have not been available for about three years now.  Just received another list of banned substances from suppliers;.

Trillium

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 18:28 »
I recall our temporarily missing Munty used to power wash his greenhouse, then at night light a sulphur candle to kill the beasties. perhaps he had a store of the candles.

Babycat

• Experienced Member
smoke bomb
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 20:48 »
Dont know about smoke bomb but you can have a stink bomb from my baby if you want  :D  that should clear all lifeforms!

Just as a thought - how big is your green house!?  Cant you just give it a good old scrub?

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

mkhenry

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 21:38 »
Quote from: "drdave"
They probably mean a sulphur candle rather than a smoke bomb. This is a slow burning tin of sulphur that produces sulphur dioxide. In moisture sulphurous acid forms and kills all life within the greenhouse. I used one this winter and it worked.
All the galvanised fittings like Vine eyes got ruined by the aggressive rusting that occurred however, and our garden was 2C warmer due to local global warming!! :lol:

No I can asure you they were called Smoke bombs, and did a great job.  I have used them many times in the past.  But I know a lot better now.  In thoses days no one knew about the danger of widely used chemicals.

My Dad used to spray are beds with DDT will we were in them,(To get rid of bed bugs) Using a Flit Spray.  I dread to think what that did in the long term.
It was common to burn Pure Nicotine in the green house, a deadly poison.  Plus the use of extremely explosive weed killers.

In fact its a wonder IM still around. :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

SkipRat

smoke bomb ???
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 23:55 »
I still have some "smoke bombs" they were in the shed of the lottie I got last year. I,ve used them in all three of my g/houses (door shut with me well out of the way). Still got a dozen or so left.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

lucywil

Re: smoke bomb
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 14:41 »
Quote from: "Babycat"

Just as a thought - how big is your green house!?  Cant you just give it a good old scrub?

x Gina

my greenhouse is 8 foot x 6 foot so yes i can and will give it a good scrub, i just didn't know what my mum was on about

Pc1240

Re: smoke bomb ???
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 23:17 »
Deadfast Sulphur Candle from B&Q £4.98

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: smoke bomb ???
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:37 »
Many thanks Pc1240. Sulphur candles have had a passing mention in the 3 years since this thread was laid to rest.

Perhaps you would care to pop into the Welcome Forum & tell us a bit abut yourself.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Page created in 0.807 seconds with 36 queries.