How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?

• 46 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 02:52 »
The tomatoes are growing fast, nearly waist high, and starting to bloom.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 05:42 »
Those that have been evicted from the house are far better than anticipated despite the cool nights. The tallest ones are from an early sowing in February. The rest were sown early March.

The ones on my patio (Feb sowing) are at a similar state of growth (from the early sowing).
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-25 at 21.16.15.jpeg

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 08:48 »
My late March plants are small but happy. I'm potting them on today and I'll start to harden off the ones destined to live outdoors this summer.
IMG_20210526_073517.jpg

GraciesGran

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 09:38 »
Not brilliant but getting there.  They are allowed in the day but tucked up in the greenhouse at night.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 18:30 »
Transplanted my GH tomatoes into their home made troughs yesterday.

They were around 12" tall, but now only 8" (planted them deep!)

'Sugar Drop' is this year's experiment - a friend donated a single (supermarket) fruit to save seed from, so I've no idea what they might taste like.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wighty

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 20:16 »
I planted two trays of seeds and nothing has happened so they have gone out to the  'great compost bin in the sky'.  We have bought in plants from someone advertising them on our way home at 50p each. They're looking good at the moment but we are still very windy here.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 08:00 »
All outside now, enjoying the company of columbines.

2021-05-27 07.21.20.jpg
2021-05-27 07.21.34.jpg

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 18:20 »
Just moved mine outside the conservatory into a couple of grow bags and some pots.
Mostly home germinated but a couple of plants from a garden centre too. HH
Keep digging

Anton

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 18:30 »
Well mine are crimson crush and blight-free cocktail tomatoes. I have been putting them outside for a week or so to harden them off. They look a bit sad. They are just over 20 cm tall. Dare I plant them out now?
Today is the first day of  better weather and it is supposed to be in the 20s (centigrade) over the next week but going down to 6 at night sometimes.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 02:39 »
Well mine are crimson crush and blight-free cocktail tomatoes. I have been putting them outside for a week or so to harden them off. They look a bit sad. They are just over 20 cm tall. Dare I plant them out now?
Today is the first day of  better weather and it is supposed to be in the 20s (centigrade) over the next week but going down to 6 at night sometimes.

You could pot them in 1 gallon nursery pots with good compost and set them out. You should be OK with those temperatures, but if it gets colder you can move them indoors or tarp them overnight.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:40 by Subversive_plot »

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 07:39 »
I reckon that toms just have to get outside now, with potential protection if a frost beckons, because they really do need the light, not necessarily heat, to get going properly.

These longer days are so important for toms to develop - we've been so lucky with decent weather up to May in recent years, it's just this year that has chucked in the proverbial spanner!

Protection can be anything like a net even - I use clothes pegs to pin it down to anyything nearby, there's no rocket science involved!

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 08:14 »

6C is a bit cool but should do little harm if it's just for an hour or so before dawn and the plants have been hardened off.  I'd get them out and as Growster said, fleece if necessary. 

In our home it's taken for granted that if there's a late cold snap then there will be a dozen tomato plants in the living room.  Thankfully Mrs Hasbeans if busy finishing her thesis and probably wouldn't notice as long as I keep the teapot filled and the noise down!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 13:44 »
Agree with growster. Mine have been out for about 10 days. Don’t even want to type the F word. If it strikes I’m not beyond  sleeping out there with them to keep them warm! They are my princesses.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 14:04 »
The ones I planted out a few days ago, into the (plastic) greenhouse look so much greener/happier, already - than the ones still in pots in the glass greenhouse. These are destined for the allotment, in the next couple of days. I think they'll sigh with relief when they get there - unless it turns cold again  :ohmy:

Anton

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 17:21 »
Thanks a lot for alll the advice and encouragement.

"Agree with growster. Mine have been out for about 10 days. Don’t even want to type the F word. If it strikes I’m not beyond  sleeping out there with them to keep them warm! They are my princesses"

That's very funny.

xx
How are your 2020 tomatoes coming along?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post October 06, 2020, 06:26
by Growster...
xx
Coming Soon

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 01:21
by Dan78
xx
Anyone coming for Tea!!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 14:16
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Asparagus not coming up

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 23:50
by Salmo

Page created in 0.989 seconds with 54 queries.