Tin cans as pots

• 8 Replies

GraciesGran

Tin cans as pots
« on: May 16, 2021, 16:02 »
Youngest son and grandson have beans on toast for breakfast on weekday mornings.  Would it be possible to make holes in the cans and use them for potting on before they go in the recycling bin?  What I really need to know is whether or not there is any coating on the inside of the tins that would make it impractical/unadvisable.

Christine

Re: Tin cans as pots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 16:21 »
My neighbour was told the same thing about baked bean tins, made the drainage holes and filled with compost then had small plants in them. The experiment failed splendidly though the decorative pots she bought and used alongside the tins have been washed out and reused this year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 16:38 »
You surely have to assume that if cans are safe for food, they would be safe for growing plants in (even if the coating is damaged and the can has started to rust it would only be ferric (iron) oxides in contact with the soil, and you may well have recycled them by then anyway.)

My only concern would be about the sharp edges usually left when opening cans.

Rolled coils of coated steel are then delivered to can-making factories. For acidic foods like tomatoes and rhubarb, a thin coating or lacquer is needed on the inside of the can. This is put on at the can-making factory before the can bodies are stamped out. Tin coating and tin free steel are non-toxic, safe and strong.

Source: https://www.cannedfood.co.uk/how-cans-are-made-today/#:~:text=Steel%20used%20to%20make%20food,protect%20the%20steel%20from%20oxidation.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41 »
Thank you. Will pass this on.  Knowing my grandson he will give it a try.

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 07:22 »
Text received from grandson to say thank you for your advice.  There are some surplus runners and French beans that are going in tins as an experiment.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 08:07 »
tins being parallel might cause problems if needing to pot on like the idea though good luck
from bow like to grow

GraciesGran

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 06:35 »
stevenc, I wondered about that but when I queried it the response text said that as his mum had 2 palette knives he would use one of those to ease the plants out.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 22:28 »
A lot of tins are ribbed to strengthen them so will not let go of the compost easily .
Strawberry season will soon be apon us and cream cartons make very good pots ! :)

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 13:43 »
The experiment is on hold as grandson managed to acquire some yogurt pots from their new neighbours recycling bin. 

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Pots Grown In Pots For Christmas.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 21:32
by mkhenry
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Pots

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 21:57
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 41 queries.