Rotavator

• 6 Replies

Aniela

Rotavator
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:51 »
Could anyone suggest a small but effective Rotavator. I find it difficult to use the one we have at our site it too heavy for me and I end up like a sprint runner going in all directions a cross my plot 😤
Thank you

jezza

Re: Rotavator
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 12:56 »
Hello Stihl make a Multi tool lwith different attachments on the rotas like the Mantis , if your rotavators a rear rota model always spin the rotas into the ground disengage them then put wheels in gear then re engage rotas,the wheels hold them back,I once put the rotas in to gear before the wheels on a Howard  Super Gem diesel it was like having 4 wheel drive,the boss wasnt to pleased when he got an extra door in the greenhouse  jezza

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 04:56 »
Like the door story, Jezza...;0)

Aniela, welcome! I can understand the 'sprint' problem only too well, and eventually found that a smaller tiller, like mentioned above, was the best alternative, and definitely more controllable as it is so much lighter!

A Mantis or similar, will get down to around 10" properly, which is enough to do the hard work on the topsoil, but the stuff below doesn't get much of a look-in, so if you are into digging, you'll need to fork over the subsoil occasionally! You may even want to consider 'no dig', which is sometimes 'touched on lightly', on other posts here, and that is definitely an easy - and interesting, option!

Nowadays, I just till the soil, hoik out the nasty weeds which have been churned up, and hoe during the summer, and it suits us just fine!

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 15:38 »
I know I am biased being the "Merry Tiller man", but they are quite easy to use and not hard work at all except when turning at the end of the row. Problem is nobody knows how to use one. I have tried at least 8 U tube videos and all are doing it wrong, including the Merry Tiller manufacturer's video. Though they do get quite close, except far, far, too many revs on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgBEvNW50nE

As outlined above, if you get a Mantis size, you are going to have to dig the plot anyway, so why bother?
R Tallentire

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 05:18 »
Running along behind a Mantis doesn't really work efficiently, so if the tines are set to 'forward work' i.e. pointing down at the front, (rather than pointing back for just weeding), then just moving forward a couple of feet and drawing the machine backwards, then repeating the action slowly along the row, the old thing gets down nice and deep!

You'll notice, however, that you need quite some 'personal' back action, what with pulling the kit against the motor, but it does chuck the weeds out very efficiently, and dips the tines down extremely well!

I'd also recommend using just the two single tines and not the four set, but if you're doing a large area, this may take a good deal longer! (And forget the edger - it's useless)!

jezza

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 18:58 »
Hello if you have a merry tiller they are very easy to use as R Tallentire says,I use to use merrytillers with 60 inch wide rotors in greenhouses it kept a constant 9 inch deep all the time   I found other makes use to nose dive and had to be reversed out   jezza

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 16:47 »
The mini Mantis I've used instructs you to using it backwards in the manual. i.e. like a Hoover action only walking backwards in a straight line, so you don't trample the tilled soil. To go deeper just rock back and fore a few times. It seems to work ok.

xx
LTS UK Rotavator

Started by Paul Grantham on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2018, 19:25
by Paul Grantham
xx
rotavator

Started by petehenry on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 22:38
by Kristen
xx
M1 ROTAVATOR

Started by bert on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 13:29
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
More rotavator help please

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post May 11, 2007, 14:23
by LILACSPLASH

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 45 queries.