Newbie, saying HI, and wondering

• 7 Replies

Slatz

« on: February 16, 2008, 21:02 »
Hello all.  Been lurking here for a while and I've found it a goldmine for useful info.

Gonna be buying some layers soon, built the hen house, and I'm fencing a run at the bottom of the garden next weekend.  (10m by 2m for the run).

I went to the Fur and Feather auction today in Clitheroe just to have a nosey around.  I was amazed at the variation in price for what to my eye were identical lots.  For example two trio's of RIR in adjacent cages, one sold for £36 the trio, their neighbours for £12.  Both were from the same seller and were described as POL.  Is it just luck of the draw or are there some special things I should be looking for?

I spoke to one of the old hands there and his advise was to buy a trio, keep the hens and come back next week and sell the cockerel, that way you get the hens a lot cheaper as folks don't want the cocks, is that good advice?

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 21:35 »
well it could just be me but look at his advice
by a trio, keep the hens and come back next week and sell the cockerel, that way you get the hens a lot cheaper as folks don't want the cocks,

now if people dont want the cock birds what hope do you have of selling it

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 21:41 »
Welcome Slatz.  

Do pop up to the welcome forum and introduce your self if you want to sometime, an if you can put your aprox. location on your profile It would help members to give you better advice.

How many hens would you like to keep.  Do you want them just for eggs, or for meat too. Or are they like some of ours here just as pets who happen to lay eggs too.

If you intend o have a cockerel you will only need about one to every 10-12hens, so trios are not a good idea.  Good for the seller but not for the buyer.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 21:43 »
yep - single cockerels at auctions may go to dealers cheap for meat.
Have a look here for local breeders for you or check out "Practcal Poultry" a magazine with a lot of breeders in the back, most WH Smiths sell it. :D

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/index.php

Auctions can be good if you know what you are looking for - but prices can be steep and you never quite know what you are getting!

Slatz

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 22:36 »
Profile and Welcome Forum updated, photos to follow.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 23:03 »
Lancashire breeders:

These people sell tradtional breeds  http://www.traditionalbritishfowl.com/

Louise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 17:02 »
hello, Slatz im not far from you, in fact i was down your way today!! I didnt know there was an auction in clitheroe - might go just for a look :wink:

Good luck getting some hens - they're great pets xx

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:10 »
Hello Slatz,

Sound advice already given. I got my first hens from Thirsk and then Skipton Auctions. The two were very different but it was good to see lots of different breeds at close quarters. Trouble is, it's easy to fall for the wrong birds, maybe feel sorry for them etc...then you end up bidding way over what you had planned! My first bid, which was unsucessful, was for three stunning brown silkies...I'd never seen a silkie before and wanted them whatever the price! However, the bids just flew up and up and MOH had to hold me down in the end! Good to go and look but keep your hands in your pockets unless you are very disciplined and know a bit about the birds you're buying!! I agree about not getting a trio as there are always lots of people trying to get rid of cockerels...best not get one unless you're prepared to see it go for the pot.

Good luck, take your time and you'll get the birds that best suit you!

Judi

xx
just wondering if they will ever get on

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 08:36
by Lynda_T
xx
Wondering if I can help someone out..

Started by Jaspertilly on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 08:52
by joyfull
xx
Just wondering about grit??

Started by nessa egg on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 02:55
by hillfooter
xx
newbie: how can i get them to eat?

Started by rebecca.smiles on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 00:28
by penninehillbilly

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 37 queries.