Blank Canvas

• 4 Replies

Rusty Gardener

Blank Canvas
« on: March 17, 2021, 17:31 »
Hi there
Totally new to all this, just got my first allotment, it's a blank "canvas" so to say with just a black sheet of plastic covering the growing area. My question is would you add anything to the soil with it been my first time growing anything or just plant up and seee what happens during year one.                                                                 Thanks

Christine

Re: Blank Canvas
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 18:17 »
General fertiliser always. Good compost if you can acquire it.

Rusty Gardener

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 18:21 »
General fertiliser always. Good compost if you can acquire it.
For compost do you horse manure or chicken manure ? And for the fertiliser what would you recommend. ( sorry total newbie.

Edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 20:26 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 20:28 »
A general fertiliser is one which is balanced in nutrients.  When you look on the back of a fertiliser packet, you'll see these letters, followed by some numbers: NPK

N = Nitrogen (for leaves)
P = Potash (for flowering/fruiting)
K = Potassium (for roots)

If the numbers after the NPK are broadly equal, it's a general purpose balanced fertiliser.  This could be fish blood & bone (FBB, sometimes written in a different sequence e.g. BFB) or Growmore, for exampe. 

Or a more specific fertiliser would have a higher number for one of the letters.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 22:55 »
Hello for manure any well rotted manure will be beneficial ,fresh chicken manure is very powerful so would need to be stacked for a year or 2 ,as good general fertilizer to use is grow more 777 or 10 10 10 at 2oz (50g )square yard ,at the market garden we use to put hymns on the tape player to spread to Abide with me was 2 oz a square yard (lettuce)  3 to 4 oz was  (tomatoes ,cucumbers lord of the dance if you hum these you cant go far wrong  jezza

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 32 queries.