Early spuds in pots

• 1 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Early spuds in pots
« on: March 13, 2021, 09:06 »
I have started a couple of builders buckets of first earlies off, just so we can have some new potatoes a bit earlier than the outside crop.

I usually find it gets too hot in there quite fast and I have to move them outside before the top growth gets too lank.  This is generally before the chances of a late frost are completely over, so what does everyone else do.  Move them back in overnight or cover them up and hope.  I was thinking about investing in a couple of those fleece bags affairs that you can put over plants in pots  :unsure:

This kind of thing

https://www.dobbies.com/haxnicks-extra-thick-easy-fleece-jacket-large-2-per-pack-429193011?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxd3ayfSs7wIV2d_tCh0mbQEaEAQYDCABEgJBJ_D_BwE

I sometimes start work around midday/early afternoon, then don’t finish until 9/10pm so the moving them back in option has limitations for me.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Early spuds in pots
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 09:22 »
When they start getting a bit too big, I move them to the bottom of the hedge and peg a piece of enviromesh/fleece along the hedge and over the buckets :) It looks ugly for a few weeks but does the job.

xx
Early Spuds in Pots in the G/H.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 19:21
by Ivor Backache
xx
spuds in pots?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 13:02
by Optimistic Gardener
xx
first early pots

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 19:39
by agapanthus
xx
1st Early Pots

Started by brianbishop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 20:31
by gobs

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 40 queries.