Spinach - perpetual or annual...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Spinach - perpetual or annual...
« on: March 10, 2021, 07:23 »
I've cleared a space to grow more spinach this year, and wonder if a perpetual variety is as good as an annual sort...

Years ago, we had some perpetual spinach on an inherited plot, but the family weren't that keen on it back then, so are there some newer varieties, or is it best to stay on the fresher stuff?

We really prefer using it raw as a decent salad...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Spinach - perpetual or annual...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 09:32 »
Perpetual spinach is ok as a substitute when cooked, but raw it's nowhere near as sweet and tender as true spinach, even when the leaves are picked young. That said, it doesn't bolt in the midsummer heat.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 10:07 »
I've only ever grown perpetual spinach once and must admit I wasn't that keen on it, I found it quite bitter and stringy!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:39 »
If you want something longer lived than annual spinach. but still very mild and tender, I would recommend Erbette.  It is pretty long lived - mine from a direct sowing last spring are still hanging in and starting to resprout, although it will be a battle of wills from now on to stop them bolting  :lol:

If you want a few seeds to try Mr G, just let me know.  I have a stash  ;)

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 13:09 »
I'm not keen on the taste of perpetual spinach, so now I only grow the annual one.  If you have the space grow lots of it, then you can pick it, wilt it and freeze in packs for cooking.  I usually grow two crops, one before the weather gets too hot, and then I sow more seeds after July for a second one.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 20:41 »
Thank you Folks!

With your advice, I think the space will endure an annual crop now - the soil is perfect for such an abundant row, (it's an old compost heap - slightly re-organised), and a speedy growth normally means a tender result! (Well, that's what Mrs Growster always tells me...:0)

As I have a spare cubic inch in the freezer, I may well try some there as well, but as I'm off to Twongos tomorrow, don't bet on it...!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 13:13 »
I was thinking of putting in a row of annual spinach, so please let me know what you get Growster as both OH and I quite like it for a change but don't want a bitter one.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 18:11 »
I was thinking of putting in a row of annual spinach, so please let me know what you get Growster as both OH and I quite like it for a change but don't want a bitter one.

To date, we've used 'Trumpet' F1, but we don't let it get too old and woody, and just harvest the small sweeter leaves - about the same size you see in the supermarket! It's a lovely green accompaniment to Lamb's lettuce and rocket! Last year the whole lot grew quite happily in a few trays, on a raised shelf outside!

As I now have some more space, I'll will pop them in the new composty soil!

celeriac

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 10:49 »
When we get a Riverford box they often have something they call 'true spinach' I assume because it's easier to grow organically, so may well be suited to allotment growing. I'm afraid I've know idea of it's availability of growing conditions, but it's very nice.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 06:45 »
When we get a Riverford box they often have something they call 'true spinach' I assume because it's easier to grow organically, so may well be suited to allotment growing. I'm afraid I've know idea of it's availability of growing conditions, but it's very nice.

Thanks, Celeriac! Looking at their website, I guess that the Trumpet we grow is identical but they don't show a pic...

Small leaves are perfect for what we want, so it's an annual one for this year - the compost bed will be over a foot deep!

xx
spinach beet, perpetual spinach

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:32
by viettaclark
xx
perpetual spinach - spinach beet

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:25
by viettaclark
xx
How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 08:45
by dig4victory
xx
perpetual spinach

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 13:34
by Ice

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 39 queries.