Onion seeds

• 5 Replies

wurzelrob70

Onion seeds
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:31 »
Hi all, we have recently taken on an allotment after some success in a small plot in the garden last year, and have decided to grow onions from seed this year. We sowed them about 3 weeks ago and most have germinated on a table under to a south facing window next to a heater. The problem is some of the seedlings have fallen over and gone brown and died. Do you think they may not be getting enough light or could it be too warm for them where they are?

I have bought one of the plastic mini greenhouses to go in the back garden but am not sure if it is still too cold to put them out there yet as it gets down to freezing most nights lately.

Please can you help, any info would be gratefully recieved.

P.s We have also started off our leeks in the same place and am worried they may go the same way

Cheers Rob
Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl's empty, and so is your head.

shaun

Onion seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 14:55 »
have a look HERE for growing from seed rob,ventilation and a nice steady temperature  are the main points,as for the mini greenhouse its just too cold for them
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

gobs

Onion seeds
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 20:43 »
Probably damping of fungal disease, too wet and in this case also prob too warm.

Not late to resow, keep away from radiator and only water if dry.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

wurzelrob70

Onion seeds
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:52 »
Thanks guys, most sites I have seen have about 1 sentence about growing from seeds and then go into growing from sets so your help has been great. I will try your recommendations but think I will probably back that up by buying some sets as well (just in case).
Once again thanks for your help.

compostqueen

Onion seeds
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 17:28 »
I germinated mine in the house in Jan and kept them in the greenhouse only when sunny, bringing them back in at night.  

They're now out in the greenhouse, inside a plastic growhouse. I keep a Tiny paraffin heater in there and an electric heater on the frost stat setting
They seem to be doing fine. Lack of ventilation can be a problem so I have the heater on vent mode to keep the air moving as last year many of my seedlings were killed off or failed to germinate which meant I had to re-sow.

You can grow pickling onions direct in the lotty or garden soil but it's best left til March.  I had a fine crop of Marshalls brown pickling onions last year  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Onion seeds
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 21:29 »
Watering with cheshunt compound at sowing will help prevent damping off disease  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion seeds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 13:31
by SG6
xx
onion seeds

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 09:41
by chrissie B
xx
onion seeds

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 12:10
by Beklet

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 36 queries.