sweet peppers

• 10 Replies

rowlandwells

sweet peppers
« on: February 15, 2021, 14:49 »
not being a favourite of peppers my wife suggested we grow a sweet pepper so I'm going for a variety called Golden Californian Wonder as this is an open pollinated variety I'm not sure how it will produce because there's quite a difference in price from the O/P varieties to the  F1'S

my O/P variety cost 5g £1.90 for around 120 seeds the F1'S 50seeds would set me back £8.25  :ohmy: so is there anything i should be aware of  that's any different when growing O/P varieties to the F1varieties except price

has anyone been growing this variety or any other sweet varieties any info much appreciated

goose

• Experienced Member
Re: sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 15:23 »
im trying this variety for the first time this year as they were really cheap in 'The Range'...under £1 a packet....may have even been 50P. 

ive actually sown some today as my peppers always seem to take ages to ripen and i find they need a longer growing season than tomato's...nothing to lose if i have to resow as i have more seeds than i need before they go out of date ::). good luck!.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 08:38 »
I've grown California Wonder for two years on the trot and they've never really taken off. 1st year outside, last year in the greenhouse. It could be the soil here which is heavy clay, if yours is the same might I suggest trying them in large pots?

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 13:31 »
I've grown quite a few varieties over the years but my staple now is Palermo. Started off with saved seeds from peppers bought from one of the discount supermarkets (both sell the variety). A 'bulls' horn' shaped pepper, up to 9" long and around 2" wide at the top, sweet both when green and ripe (red). Plants grow around 1m tall.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 14:22 »
I have had limited success indoors and out with the "Bell" peppers, Where they have developed fruit I have only got one decent size one. The "long" varieties do much better and even outside they turn red or yellow and I get around a dozen per plant.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 14:44 »
First time trying Sweet Peppers, as I have now got an unheated (well there is an electric heat mat ) greenhouse. I've got some 'Robertina' variety. Unable to start them off indoors - not allowed !
I have a paved slab floor in the GH, so want to grow in pot, any advice please on sowing, planting, care etc. Thank you.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 17:31 »
thanks for that offer Goose much appreciated if needed

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 23:13 »
My best sweet pepper production has always come from the horn-shaped types. Try sweet banana peppers, or the sweet Hungarian wax peppers (sweet banana peppers are smaller than the sweet Hungarian wax, the sweet Hungarian wax can have some heat).  There are hot varieties of both the Hungarian wax and banana peppers, just be sure what you are buying.

I grew a few bell peppers last year also. I produced some peppers, but not as many as I was hoping for.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 21:08 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jezza

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 11:10 »
Hello we use to grow sweet peppers in green houses at a market garden(4000  plants) we use to wait till the king pepper (one in the middle ) had ripened to pick them then they use to grow fast and ripen every couple of days, they dont like being watered over head  jezza

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 19:37 »
Sorry bit late t parteeee

My fave sweet pepper (sort of) is Trinidad Perfume.
Small peppers with no heat but look and taste the same as the infamous Habanero chillies. And you get tons of them but they need a longer growing season same the hot version.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 21:00 »
Sorry bit late t parteeee

My fave sweet pepper (sort of) is Trinidad Perfume.
Small peppers with no heat but look and taste the same as the infamous Habanero chillies. And you get tons of them but they need a longer growing season same the hot version.

I once grew Orange Suave (similar to TP) and Habanero in the same year. Let's just say there was a mix up during the preparation of Mrs Ds salad......

xx
Sweet Peppers - outside already??

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 10:17
by little sweetpeas
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by brotherdeal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 23:40
by mumofstig
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 21:49
by sclarke624
xx
Help with sweet peppers

Started by zopadooper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 17:41
by Snoop

Page created in 1.145 seconds with 39 queries.