• 11 Replies

TJ72

« on: January 26, 2021, 10:10 »
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask....

We've just taken on our first allotment and it's been neglected for a few years, it's full of brambles, bindweed and probably other stuff we've not spotted yet.
So far we have managed to pick up all the rubbish from the flytippers, had the brush cutter and loppers in and taken down the brambles and the rest of it to a couple of inches.
My question is considering we're still in January do we now spray it with weedkiller (Gallup) or do we have to wait until we see fresh growth from it all?
Its quite a decent size plot 10x30 metres so if we have to cover with tarp that's a lot we'll have to go and buy haha.
Any suggestions/advice on the next step would be appreciated, thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:21 »
I’ve moved your post to the welcome bit TJ so people can say Hi and offer some advice, as you have a few different questions about starting out  :)

I would wait to use weed killer until you see green growth. The glyphosate ones are absorbed by leaves and carried to the roots and that happens faster when the weeds are actively growing.  They won’t work just sprayed on the soil and at this time of year, there is a danger it will all get washed off the leaves by rain before it has done its work.

TJ72

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:38 »
Thanks for moving us to the right place and answering the question about the weedkiller, I was leaning towards waiting til I see fresh growth but am itching to crack on too   :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 11:51 »
‘SBK brushwood killer’ would be the best herbicide for brambles, but it’s not suitable for veg plots as it’s a hormone growth regulator which may remain in the soil for a while.

Glyphosate - ‘Roundup’ will kill bramble but may need a couple of applications.  Spray the new shoots when they are about 10-12 inches tall so that they have enough leaf to translocate the herbicide down into the roots.

It would be best to dig out as much of the root as you can once you think it’s dead, but you may need to spot treat stubborn shoots throughout the year.  This can be done with a stronger solution and a paint brush to avoid any other plants being affected.

TJ72

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03 »
Hi and thanks for the info, when you say SBK will stay in the soil for a while, how long roughly?

We're planning raised beds on the plot for a variety of reasons and being realistic with what we have I really can't see us growing anything this year anyway, we're going to concentrate on getting rid of all the brambles and weeds and getting the bones of the plot in place, we've got fences to fix, drainage to sort out and security to put in place, then build the beds before we can even get to the good part of growing anything

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 18:11 »
Hi and thanks for the info, when you say SBK will stay in the soil for a while, how long roughly?

Half life in soil 60 days.  So I’d say the whole season.

TJ72

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 18:21 »
Great thanks again, might try that product then, cheers!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:00 »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.. :D

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:45 »
Hi there & welcome, take lots of photos so you can see your progress for the tough days, there’s diaries on here to to record your progress,plus we’re all nosey lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

TJ72

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 12:39 »
Thank you, diary is a good idea I've already started with the photos so I don't get too down with the lack of progress  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 11:27 »
Thank you, diary is a good idea I've already started with the photos so I don't get too down with the lack of progress  :D

My advice  :)

Anything you grow will feel like a triumph.

The weeds are always with you - sometimes you win - sometimes they do, but life doesn't end and there is always another day to continue the fight.

Make sure you have fun and don't make it a penance.  If you enjoy the whole mud larking, weed pulling, seed sowing, crop growing experience, it will be with you for life  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 09:07 »
Hello again, even if you choose the chemical route, I would prepare at least a small area by hand & no chemicals so you can at least grow a bit of something this year to give you heart  :)

grin

Started by Roy Hamilton on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 09:41
by New shoot
smiley

Started by Mini Digger on Welcome to the Forums

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 18:07
by Subversive_plot
xx
Another newbie

Started by DiggerDog on Welcome to the Forums

22 Replies
Last post September 10, 2022, 13:26
by DiggerDog
xx

Started by James frond on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2020, 17:23
by James frond

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 51 queries.