What I did on the plot today 2021

• 31 Replies

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
Re: What I did on the plot today 2021
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 20:39 »
First weekend of the year on the plot both days. I've been cutting down an overgrown hawthorn hedge, so finished that yesterday. Been chopping up all the twigs into inch long pieces for top mulching. This afternoon I transplanted a few blackthorn hedge plants into the gaps and have tried some holly cuttings into the ground to see if they take. Carried on chopping up until the sun went down and it went notably cooler. This coming week I plan to cut the remaining hedges back and clear some space in the potting shed for sowing leeks, peas and various other things. My other half cleared the leek bed, a significant number had suffered frost damage so ended up in the compost bin. Can't believe it is March tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 20:41 by Thrutchington »

Subversive_plot

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2021
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 18:24 »
I planted some tomato seeds (that I'd chitted) into starter pots. Gardener's Delight and Roma.  I also chitted Better Boy slicing tomatoes that came as some kind of pelleted seed, they have not sprouted at all  :mad: ??? :unsure:  I think I'm never going to get pelleted seed again. I read elsewhere that the pelleting process reduces the shelf life of seed.

My starter pots are actually sections of 4 cm diameter pipe, cut 5 cm long. I set these into plastic deli-type containers, which I rescued from our household recycling. I set each pipe on end, fill it with potting soil, plant the chitted seed, put the lid on.  Easy, simple, made with free materials that I can later recycle. 

It is very easy to get the seedlings out of those pipes when it's time to move the seedlings to larger pots.

Aubergines and jalapenos chitted at the same time as the tomatoes are being slower to sprout.  A couple jalapenos finally sprouted today, I'm waiting on more.  I'm providing some bottom heat, hoping that will help.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 18:42 by Subversive_plot »
Please stay safe!  Wear a mask, and observe social distancing!

xx
Are you already planning your 2021 vegetable plot?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 08:56
by basketcase
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 38 queries.