Christmas Memories

• 2 Replies

mrs bouquet

Christmas Memories
« on: December 14, 2020, 13:33 »
I watched the postman this morning coming around the Lane.    He used to push his trolly with the post in.  Now he just walks with about 10/12 bits of post.
It reminded me of being a child at Christmas, when the Post Office used to rent removal vans.   These came up our road, with some staff (or possibly temps/6th formers).    They all ran around chatting with people, their arms full of post and parcels.    It was so exciting.      What are your memories ?    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Christine

Re: Christmas Memories
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 14:40 »
Cor blimey you lived on a street with a postman Mrs B? 

And all those years I lived on a farm a mile from anywhere and if the postman couldn't make it then it was tractor into the village.  :(

rowlandwells

Re: Christmas Memories
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 17:45 »
my wife was one of postie in our village for some twenty three years come rain come shine with hardly a sick day over all those years and with  Christmas being the busiest time of the year in those days the post bicycle was the work horse I've seen the bike laden with a mountain of parcels and she even worked over in the dark to complete the deliveries there where many of her customers who used to give her a Christmas present because they knew she would go that extra mile for them if needed and they appreciated what she done for them the posties then where a large part of the community and since she retired we have had people come up to us when we are shopping  in the local town and chatting to the wife there strangers to me but they where posties sent out from the main post office to our local sorting post office to help out at Christmas and they remembered my wife from those days

as i remember in my younger days our  postman was again a person you all knew and again the cycle was used every day and our postman used to bike to all the farms and lodges and he knew all the local farmers and they looked forward to him telling them the local  gossip  and sometimes he was given a welcome cuppa on a cold or snowy winters day a wealth of information if you wanted some cabbage or tomato plants see the postman

but like all things sometimes changes and not for the better vans replaced bicycles the posties are now are from the town office just one girl remains one of the old posties we have a deferent person every week they haven't got the time to pass the time of day its rush rush rush sometimes we get other peoples post long gone are the days when we knew the postie here we know the dustman more than we know the postie and since my wife retired we lost our post office and local sorting office its a shame because the post office was a focal point of our village not long after the local bank shut there all now just memories of the past

xx
It's Christmas Day

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 14:11
by Yorkie
xx
Christmas already

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2021, 20:08
by jezza
xx
My Christmas is now over

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2019, 13:37
by mumofstig
xx
My Christmas Day was certainly Different ......

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2019, 17:19
by Growster...

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.