Prepareing a carrot bed

• 22 Replies

Falcon_man

Prepareing a carrot bed
« on: February 15, 2008, 14:16 »
I have been working out what I need to do on the plot, where to Lime and where to manure and then I came to my Carrots bed. I know not to manure it but is there anything I should add?

I intend to dig spade and half depth down to make sure the soil is not to compact or stoney but is there anything else anyone can recommend. I also intend to net it to avoid the dreaded carrot fly.

Cheers

paintedlady

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 14:28 »
Dig in loads of compost if your soil is clay.  Nearer the time perhaps sprinkle some Growmore but don't be heavy handed with it.

And you'll need something a bit finer than net - more like a very fine mesh, fleece or (clear) plastic sheet screen at least 2 foot high round the bed :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 14:35 »
I'm hoping to grow carrots for the first time this year too and as I have no raised beds was thinking of covering with fleece. Everytime I hear carrots I also hear carrot fly and I'm worried now! :?

Can the fleece stay in place over the carrots the entire time they're growing? I assumed that if I covered them with plastic they would get too hot in there and had ruled out netting as not fine enough.
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

littleorchard

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 14:45 »
i put a sprinkle of bone meal on my bed last year, they were great until the carrot flys got them!

And I put onions either side, didn't work. This year i will either be growing in bins or having fleece round the side, i think they can't fly above 20 cm?!

paintedlady

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 14:51 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
Can the fleece stay in place over the carrots the entire time they're growing? I assumed that if I covered them with plastic they would get too hot in there and had ruled out netting as not fine enough.

Fleece should be alright - drape it over wire loops (like mini polytunnels/cloches) and weight the edge down with either soil or a lot of little bricks.  But do check inside regularly as weeds grow beautifully under such ideal conditions too! :D

Lynne

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 16:16 »
This year I am growing mine in an old bath I managed to get hold of. The bath is propped up on bricks and I have riddled the soil to remove stones. It's about 2.5 feet high so I'm hoping it's too tall for carrot fly.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 18:36 »
Very smelly Tagetes if sown between rows also help to deter fly.

I actually mix spring onions in with my carrot seed!!  :D
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

mkhenry

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 20:23 »
All the smelly things you can plant in between on among your carrots will help against the carrot fly, but by far the best is a barrier.
It should be 2 feet high for safety.  If you just use a fleece cover the flys always seem to get in.
I think it is when you lift the fleece to water or just take a look.

Or like me grow them in a container at least 2 feet high.

I grow mine in dustbins, in a spiral.  By picking the outer ones the sun then reaches the inner ones.  The carrot fly just cannot reach them.

Bye the bye, once again I must pass this tip on.  Its true and does have some success.  I promise. :wink:

Place some broken bits or Mirror on the beds between the rows of carrots.
The carrot fly thinks its a stranger and will attack its reflection.
It charges so forcably that it kills its self.  :lol:  :wink:  (Gobs I promise you its true.)
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 21:48 »
I grew my carrots last year behind a barrier of enviromesh.   But it wasn't high enough  :cry:  The dreaded fly got in  :cry:

My mistake was to make it only18 inches high.  It will be at least 2 ft high this year.  You should install your barrier before you sow the seeds as once 1 fly has go in you've lost  :evil:

Annie

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 23:40 »
We use viromesh over hoops covering carrots and parsnips,pop it on when we sow with a few friendly slug pellets and leave until harvest.OH sneaked a bath onto the garden for carrots so I will be searching the archives for advice on that next.

mkhenry

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 23:42 »
Quote from: "Annie"
We use viromesh over hoops covering carrots and parsnips,pop it on when we sow with a few friendly slug pellets and leave until harvest.OH sneaked a bath onto the garden for carrots so I will be searching the archives for advice on that next.

Make sure that you leave the plug out when you plant up. :lol:  :wink:

Annie

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 23:53 »
thanks mk,never thought of that!!! :roll: was wondering more about whether a bit of gravel in the bottom was a good idea and soil type to go in.

Kanute

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 23:58 »
Dust bins with holes drilled in the bottom works a treat.  Two bins will keep successonal sowings and keep you in carrots through Christmas.

For those only a little concerned with chemicals, my friend sprays his with parafin once just after they come up and again in full growth.  As I am not keen on anything petro-chemical I haven't tried it, but my friend swears by it
"Things" are the theives of time.

mkhenry

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 00:05 »
Quote from: "Annie"
thanks mk,never thought of that!!! :roll: was wondering more about whether a bit of gravel in the bottom was a good idea and soil type to go in.

I always put broken plant pots in mine,or brick bats.  Then shop bought compost topped up with before planting with some growmore.  For carrots I normally put some manure in ,but a few months before I sow any plants.  I mix everything very well and compact it, but no too hard just so it settles.  Then water it a few times during the waiting time before sowing. You will need to watch out during the hot weather they do dry out very quickly.  I never have any trouble. Be very careful if you are using garden soil, it maybe contaminated.  I like the soil to start off sterile.
Werks for me anyway. :lol: :wink:

Annie

Prepareing a carrot bed
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 00:06 »
if you grow in bins then you wouldn`t need other protection surely because the carrot fly can`t fly that high?1

xx
prepareing the plot advice needed

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 19:58
by Nogger
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Carrot Fly

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 00:59
by chriscross1966
xx
carrot fly

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 08:14
by CZ Silhouette

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.