Alcohol infused fruit

• 8 Replies

snowdrops

Alcohol infused fruit
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:25 »
I’ve finally got round to straining some flavoured gin from last year, was supposed to be sloes, but I now think they were bullaces. I don’t  want to waste the fruit if possible. Could I make a booze jelly from the fruits? I’ve cooked them this evening but they’re still not soft. I could pressure cook them some more or slow cook them in the hope they soften. I’m well versed in making jams & jellies, it’s just st I’ve never used this sort of fruit. I’ve also got cherries in gin & black currants in gin. Can you spot the trend here 😂
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

Re: Alcohol infused fruit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:27 »
I’ve now simmered them for a few hours & they’re still not mushy, just a tad softer, shall I just discard them. Was thinking to combine them with cooking apples & push through a sieve for a cloudy Jelly/jam type preserve.
Plus any suggestions for the other soon to be strained fruits?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:35 »
Can you take the flesh off the stone (if still there) and put them in a processor to whizz them up?
If the fruit still seems to have much alcohol in it,  that affects the set, so adding the apples is a good idea for extra pectin :)
Good luck :)

When I used to make flavoured spirits, I just used the sieved fruit up on ice creams  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 09:41 »
Thanks for the reply Mum, yes the stones are still in. I’ve still got red & black currants in the freezer, suppose I could make a boozy fruit jam if I do as you suggest. I can see this getting like Topsy, growing & growing until I have a vat of something, just hope it’s edible, or I suppose I could just put all the strained fruits together with the apples?

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 11:08 »
We were given about twenty pounds of damsons, and I made jam mainly, although some ended up being fermented with other summer fruits etc.! (Even used some pumpkin in one batch)!

Getting the stones out was a bit messy, so I resorted to chucking a few ladles-full in a colander after boiling them, and generally knocking them around with a wooden spoon until just the stones were left. It seemed to work...

I rather like your 'trend', especially where a few tots of gin are concerned...:0)~

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 23:28 »
Alcohol-infused fruit is excellent as an ingredient in fruitcake. I usually think of raisins and prunes treated that way when making fruitcake, but you could probably use other fruit infused with alcohol.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 08:17 »
Thanks for replies I went with the booze fruit jam, I ended up with 3 +1/2 pints of sieved fruit. Boy did those bull aces take some cooking & sieving, added 4lbs of stewed cooking apples, 7 1/2lbs of sugar & ended up with loads of jars of jam not really tasting of gin but a nice flavour.
856DC293-7D92-4B71-8E28-A9EFCBF3EC1B.jpeg

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 15:07 »
We would sometimes de stone the ginny sloes and mix it into melted dark chocolate .
Bit of a fiddley job de stoning and it takes a while.
Eating it takes no time at all ! ;)

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 16:52 »
Coincidentally, I've just made fourteen gallons of red wine today, to my standard recipe using elderberries yopped up with the damson juice I scraped out earlier in the year!

They froze very well, and this has meant that I can reduce the elderberries by a third and use the damsons instead! The colour is fabulous, it'll come out at about 11% so fingers crossed!

(And I've unloaded 11 wheelbarrows of firewood just now, so I'm nadgered)...

xx
Wanted: alcohol free Christmas pud

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 16:29
by Poolfield2
xx
Looking for wine and alcohol recipes from real people.

Started by hayles62 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post November 15, 2006, 13:41
by hayles62
xx
Summer fruit

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 20:52
by WG.
xx
Frozen fruit

Started by asd1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 03:57
by Trillium

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 48 queries.