Just to say hello

• 26 Replies

Stree

Just to say hello
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:23 »
Hello!  
Just joined and hoping for advice and pointers on chickens and geese, as total newcomer to poultry keeping. Just moved here ( North Lincolnshire) in August 07 and one chicken, two cockerels a goose and a gander came with the house...... been looking for a water feeder for the hen house and advice on the 2 eggs that the goose has laid this morning !
plus will be looking for another 6 or so hens in the very near future...to make the numbers up.

noshed

Just to say hello
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 14:50 »
We like pics - and welcome
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Just to say hello
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 15:34 »
Hi Stree and welcome to our merry little band!

I've still got some POL's but they are going fast!  I reckon at this rate, they'll all be gone by the end of next week, even the 2 dozen I was keeping for myself!!! lol  but I am getting some more!!

dawninspain

Just to say hello
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 15:39 »
Welcome Stree to the forum. We all learn from each other on here so fire away with your questions.

Sorry not sure what to do with goose eggs - other than eat them!

Dawn

Stree

Just to say hello
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 16:34 »
Thanks for the warm welcome all *S*

Sure to have lots of questions and will listen attentively !
Annie? The point of lay? Could you spare some. bearing in mind the exceptional circumstances? IE one poor hen a two cockerels here.....
I could collect of course. If not then any suggestions as to how to get some would be welcome. Hopefully locally. I see  you too are in Lincolnshire.

dawninspain

Just to say hello
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 17:27 »
Stree - if you are interested in Grannie Annies POLs it might be worth sending her a PM in case she does not pick up your latest posting.

Dawn

Stree

Just to say hello
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 19:42 »
Thank you for the suggestion Dawn but Annie had already sent me a PM and the deal is struck !   As long as each bird has an instruction booklet with I should be OK!
Actually I think I am doing OK with the birds so far, they do seem a lot happier than when we took them on last August and these new ones from Annie will be good company for the others,

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Just to say hello
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 20:36 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"

I've still got some POL's but they are going fast!  I reckon at this rate, they'll all be gone by the end of next week, even the 2 dozen I was keeping for myself!!! lol  but I am getting some more!!

ermmm!! yoo hoo grannie.   all gone????? :cry:

dawninspain

Just to say hello
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 22:45 »
Awwh Babe - have you been forgotten .......

Stree

Just to say hello
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 20:34 »
Well things are moving along nicely here, been reading lots of the threads here and picking up information on do`s and don`ts and am looking forward to the White Amberlinks on Monday  courtesy of Grannie~Annie ( (*Thanks again *))
Anyway, the imminent arrival of the Amberlinks has prompted me to get round to tasks that needed doing anyway.  sorting out the unused henhouse and run being one of them...
Compared to the brick built old pigsty the current flockette reside in, the wooden poultry house looked decidedly prone to cold and by the same token likely to get overheated in summer.....Usual 1/2" weather board/shiplap and 2"X2" frame.....which is just right to line it all inside with 2" polystyrene and than clad it all with a layer of 1/"2 plywood, walls ceiling and even the floor got heavy duty DPC membrane ( Damp proofing ) over polystyrene and then overlaid with pine tongue and groove flooring. Last month and before any of this was even thought of I had cleaned it all out and used some super strong mite and louse killer and disinfectant and it has been stood with the door open since so well aired by now .
Also the perch bars were long gone ( we only moved in end of summer last year so inherited all this so no idea where any missing stuff might be, or even what's supposed to be where being new to poultry keeping )
There was a board on one side with 2 square cut-outs presumably for the perch bars to sit in and be easily removable for cleaning out............But having just cut back some elder bushes thought that some branches about 1 1/2" diameter would be more comfortable for them to grip rather than square timber even rounded off. So I made two new boards with  half round cut-outs and the natural perch branches in place look very rustic !
After all when they perch in trees in the wild I am sure they don`t hunt around for the squarest shaped branch to sleep on .....
This  poultry house has its own small run as well so will keep the Amberlinks in there for a few days so they and the established birds can get acquainted and introduced to each other gradually......Through the fence........I mean if these dainty Amberlinks have been running around with just lots of other Amberlinks then my brown hen won`t be much of a shock but the two cockerels and the goose and gander  all at once might startle them a little!
Should make for some interesting social interplay anyway *S*

The established birds will continue to live in the  Maison D`Etre  (  oh alright, pigsty) and we will see what evolves when they are  all running together and who decides what on where they would rather live and who with.
 This ( I hope, if it works, ) is a picture of Henrietta, Henry and Kellogs ( the white one)  getting settled in for the night last night.and yes I know the droppings want clearing up, amazing what they can do in two days, but what amazing compost it makes !

poultrygeist

Just to say hello
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 20:45 »
Looks a bit like our dining room before we renovated.

:shock:

Enjoy your Amberlinks. They like to let you know they're about !!

We had half a dozen from Annie.

Foxy

Just to say hello
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 20:46 »
Hello Stree!
Wonderful picture, love the chandelier! :lol:  :lol:
Chickens cope really well with the cold - as long as there is enough of them to huddle together on the perch and the henhouse isn't too big - the big watch out I guess is draughts and damp make sure all the holes are sealed and that ventilation is at the top of the coop well above the perches so as not to create a draught.Also be a bit cautious with polystyrene as for some reason chickens will eat it and this can be fatal.
Hope this helps!

Stree

Just to say hello
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 20:53 »
! *S*  well I am sure we will all get along fine,  and heres a pic of  some of the run they have to roam in

Far background on the left is the pigsty and  on the right of the green painted building you can just make out the lean to spars for the covered run where the Amberlinks will be housed to start with.....Just under the valley of the double roof is a small pond that the geese bathe in and they all drink from as well as from various clean water containers dotted about

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Just to say hello
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 20:54 »
What a fantastc job you are doing !!!

Love the picture,  They've got very high taste in light fittings  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Just to say hello
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 21:01 »
Quote from: "babe"
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"

ermmm!! yoo hoo grannie.   all gone????? :cry:

I havent forgotten you Babe, but I'm being pressurised by Brian.  After Monday we will have 4 left, excluding a rather small hen that looks a bit mopey, the cockerel and the he/she Rosemary, who doesn't know what she is!   I've even had to sell the 2 dozen I wanted to keep for myself!

I was going to call you, but my friend gave me herrotten cold and cough last week so I feel really rough at the moment, in fact I'm just going to bed!!!!

BUT, you said you and Mumsy are coming up in the summer?????   Well, if you make it the end of June or July, you can pick out the ones you want out of the new lot which we are getting in a week or so!!!!!   How does that sound?????  They will be younger then, but at the moment, I can't get the others down to you.

And Poultrygeist, I don't mind if you tell everyone that my chickens don't like Rob!!!!  I've decided its the paint splattered trousers!!!!!  :lol:  :lol:

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 36 queries.