New strawberry bed help.

• 9 Replies

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
New strawberry bed help.
« on: November 12, 2020, 15:40 »
I know this is a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ type question ;) But I am re-making my strawberry patch after two successive years of pathetic crops - different reasons each year though.

I love strawberries and would ideally like to make 4/5 pots of jam, plus enough to eat a couple of bowl fulls every couple of days!

So, my question is how many plants would you put in to achieve that in an average year?

Any comments/advice gratefully received. So far I’ve planted out 24 new runners...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New strawberry bed help.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 16:03 »
I can't really help with quantities, as I only grow a token few for my granddaughter , but I know from experience  :( not to plant them somewhere that you recently grew potatoes, or where they will be growing near them, as they are both prone to verticillium wilt.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 16:25 »
Have you got room for a few pots at home ? 

I find you get really good yields from those which might help with the supply of eating ones. 

You could save your plot crop for jam then, without having to devote huge amounts of space  :)

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 20:47 »
I had 24 plants and was overwhelmed with strawberries. Was picking 1-2kg every two to three days. Made about twenty pots of jam and gave away quite a few. I’d say you’d be fine with 12 plants if they are in good soil and spaced 18” apart in rows 2 foot apart. Might be an idea to get six early and 6 late fruiting plants so you can eat fresh over a longer period.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 23:26 »
Nobbie has planted at very wide spacings in very good soil.   The answer depends on how much room you are willing to devote to them and how big your plot is.   I would certainly consider planting them in holes in weed suppressant material so that they are undisturbed by weeds.   In a smallish plot, I would plant at 12" x 12" spacings.   What spacing have you used so far?

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 07:24 »
Thanks for your comments so far. I have planted them at roughly 12 x12 spacing - but that was only yesterday just before I posted so I can always pull them out and re-set them if necessary! Luckily I’ve chosen a spot where there’ve been no tomatoes or potatoes for a few years.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:29 »
I don’t grow them on the plot, but I have raised beds at home where I have about a dozen plants, then I do a couple of big pots every year as well.

The raised beds are good soil and I mulch them over winter with bagged stable manure.  We get a pretty decent crop, but I have also done this and replaced half with a later cropping variety so we don’t get them all at once. 

Might be an idea to get six early and 6 late fruiting plants so you can eat fresh over a longer period.

They are a crop worth spoiling a bit for really good results.  You could achieve this by good spacing, or by making sure you really look after the soil they are in, or a combination of both  :)

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 19:39 »
For jam i hull and freeze the odd strawberries that are not enough for a serving or ripe when you have temporarily lost your appetite for them! ::)
It is surprising how the one or two picked and frozen add up to a few pots of jam.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 21:17 »
If you have room I’d increase to 36 plants, but bear in mind they should increase yield after year 1 & decrease yields after year 3 so it is recommended to dispose of after year 3 or 4. So you might be better to do it on a rolling programme, so next year plant another 12 up & so on. Of course if you have masses f room go for it now. Remember though not tomplant the next plants where these have been when you discard them. I started this current bed with 36 plants from Lidl 2 or 3  years ago. This year we had more than we could eat & I made over 18 mixed sized jars of jam & the same last year.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 21:18 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 07:17 »
Thanks everyone. Weather permitting that’s my weekend sorted :D

xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
xx
strawberry bed

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 14:27
by Glosterboy
xx
Strawberry

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2022, 13:55
by Nobbie
xx
OK.... who ate my strawberry?!?!?!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 14:04
by Welsh Girls Allotment

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 40 queries.