Looks like my time is up

• 10 Replies

chris mutter

Looks like my time is up
« on: November 08, 2020, 15:30 »
It is with Great Sadness I have to inform you, Looks like Bolsover DC has sold the allotments that urged me to join this site. In the very short time I have been here I have took so much on board and actually feel like a Gardener. I wont be taking on another due to lack of and not being on the doorstep. I do have a decent sized Garden all lawns, so might go into Container Growing possibly even some raised beds, not sure. Did enjoy my brief encounter with the seeds and soil, not sure how much I will have left as the Surveyors will be here within the next 2 weeks, how soon they start no idea. So I would like to thank you all for your assistance and friendly advice. I will still be lurking and 1 day who knows. Thank You all.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Looks like my time is up
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 15:38 »
That’s sad, Chris  :(

Most Council sites are statutory sites and not easily closed legally, so I guess it must have been a temporary site.

You can do some very worthwhile gardening in you own garden.  Raised beds and pots are great for summer food like salads and strawberries, carrots onions and lots more.  You will be surprised how much you can grow in a restricted area.  :D

chris mutter

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 16:03 »
Aunt Sally, we see to think it had a 100 year lease now up.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 19:02 »
That’s a long lease.  What a shame, but if it doesn’t actually belong to the council there’s not much anyone can do.  Please  keep posting on these forums.  We’d love to know what you’re doing in the garden to compensate for the loss of the allotment. 

Did you say you have a large lawn?  Easy to put some raised beds on some of that  ;)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 19:59 »
Chris,sorry to hear about your allotment site.

I would also encourage a bit of space converted to raised beds.  Some vegetables do well with flowers as companion plants, so you could potentially have a few tomatoes with marigolds, for example (marigolds are supposed to deter nematodes that may harm tomato plants).

There are probably other good combinations.

Good luck!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 23:33 »
Hey Chris, for different reasons I also am now without an allotment, but I have a garden with plenty of space to grow in. I'm going to do a growing diary on this site of my work on the garden/ grow patch here, why don't you do the same and we can compare and contrast. Look forward to seeing what you're goign to do!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 07:01 »
Sad news, Chris, but what a great challenge with your garden at home!

Chums here have started the discussion on ways forward, and since we gave up our 'Patch', we've had a lot more 'fun' with a much reduced planting area, and without the slog of 35 beds to tend!

Here's a tip - Don't put photos up here, as you'll get so much advice, you won't know where to shake a stick at...

...on the other hand, maybe you should..:0)

Best of luck!

chris mutter

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 08:13 »
A Massive Thank You everyone, will see it through till the Diggers arrive, then reassess my situation, as for trying to modify my Gardens SWIMBO must be consulted. I still have my Green House One in use One in sections and One on allotment, it would be possible to join Two together, that would be nice.  Thank You everyone I will hang around I WILL need your advice again, Chris.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 09:30 »
I'm sorry to hear you'll be losing the allotment but as others have said, there's lots you can get out of a small garden. That could be a fun project - set aside a veg patch and see just how much you can get out of it. Starting in modules, moving up to small pots then larger then into the bed. Successional sowing, filling space as it arises.
Best of luck!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 07:47 »
Sorry to hear about your plot Chris but like others have said please do stick around the forum. Before alotmenteering I grew in a small garden, it's amazing how much produce (and satisfaction) can be had from growing in buckets, bags and boxes.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 11:12 »
Sorry to hear about your plot Chris but like others have said please do stick around the forum. Before alotmenteering I grew in a small garden, it's amazing how much produce (and satisfaction) can be had from growing in buckets, bags and boxes.

There is such a pleasure in simply opening the kitchen door and cutting some salad leaves or pulling a beet or two  :) I was offered an allotment but prefer the ease of my garden containers. I have 4 raised beds and grow parsnips, chard,coriander, parsley, rocket, salad, beetroot, runner beans and Pak Choi. I have also constructed a fruit cage for my blueberries and another for my PSB. Potatoes are grown in bags and the flower beds have herbs scattered around. Love it.

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
second time around

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 22:09
by 10dahlia
xx
Time for a re-think

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 13:45
by Aidy
xx
Time to eat!!

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 08:56
by compostqueen

Page created in 2.045 seconds with 48 queries.