Succession cabbage advice

• 5 Replies

rebeccag

Succession cabbage advice
« on: October 29, 2020, 08:02 »
Hi there are only two of us to feed and i want to grow cabbages.. I would imagine one to two cabbages a month to eat would be ideal , would I sow them in succession  as I don't want to harvest them at the same time . Or do they sit in the ground for some time ok.  I would like to do this for both winter and spring cabbage. Thank you 😊

jambop

Re: Succession cabbage advice
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 08:30 »
Hi, I am in a similar situation there are only two of us to feed. I still tend to grow a lot at the one time and just pick them at different stages of their growth. So some early ones will be smaller and less dense than others that are picked later. I suppose it depends on when you want to eat them too so you could do them in batches but to grow cabbages that are going to be ready to eat at a two per month rate will be quite timing feat. Seeds germinate at different rates and plants grow at different rates nothing, in my experience, grows to a schedule no matter how you may want it too. I would try growing batches of six sown every four weeks see how it works out. Best of luck!

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 09:13 »
Hi rebeccag and welcome to the site i don't really like to advise people what to grow i only tell people what i do and then its up to them if they wish to follow me

so there's also only two of us to feed now the rest have flown the nest we tend to grow F1 cabbage that more or less all come together for picking and we also tend to go for some F1's that have a long shelf life and put the what's surplus in the freezer so its all about sowing to  harvesting

on the other hand if you go for an open pollinated or OP as its commonly known in the seed trade then they will probably produce in succession basically giving you a longer cutting time

but as i said we don't usually grow the OP varieties so your best bet would be to get a seed catalogue and look at what actually suites your needs we also grow spring cabbage but i think it mite be a tad to late to sow those now?

anyway i hope that makes what your looking for a bit clearer the best of luck with whatever you decide and i hope my reply helps RW

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:42 »
There's only me to feed, but I grow a short row, each, of a few varieties that are for harvesting at different times.
I grow a pointy head cabbage for early summer (Hispi)
A small round cabbage that I mainly use for coleslaw summer/autumn (Minicole)  This one stands well without splitting.
And last I grow a slightly longer row of a very winter-hardy cabbage that's a bit bigger and takes me through to the end of February/early March (Tundra)

It means buying more packets of seed, to start with, but if well-stored they will keep well for a good few years.

rebeccag

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 12:50 »
Thank you everyone. Some great advice . X

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 18:08 »
I would also consider well-known reliable open-pollinated varieties.   These have the advantage of being a great deal cheaper to buy than F1 hybrid varieties and you can also save seed from them.
Most AGMs are now F1 varieties but this does not mean that they are necessarily outstandingly better than the equivalent OP varieties.
Spring: Offenham Flower of Spring or April.    Summer/Autumn: Golden Acre (ball), Greyhound (pointed)
Winter: January King.                                    Savoy: Best of All or Vertus
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 11:51 by CHRISDONOHUE »

xx
Red cabbage advice

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 19:25
by DD.
xx
Advice on Cabbage Collars

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 21:58
by sunshineband
xx
Savoy Cabbage advice please

Started by Brad26 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2016, 09:38
by madcat
xx
Succession sowing

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 10:01
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 46 queries.