Will it survive.......

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Will it survive.......
« on: October 27, 2020, 15:02 »
I have been given a largish Phormium.  I have carefully planted it in a large container, with sieved garden soil.
Today the top is waterlogged.  I know we are having exceptional rain, but should I take it out of the pot and empty the soil and remix with some gravel in it.   I did use some horticultural grit in the mix, but not a lot.
I don't want to lose it.   A friend gave it to me (outgrown her garden) and another friend dug it up for me, and another friend sieved his garden soil for me .    What do you advise please.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Will it survive.......
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 15:12 »
Can you lift it up on some bits of wood/bricks so it can drain freely, while the rain is so heavy?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 19:09 »
Maybe get just be the garden soil to blame. I’d do as mum suggests but if it continues it might be worth starting again & adding more grit & maybe more drainage at the bottom.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:57 »
I have just lifted the Phormium out, it was floating on the top  !!!!.   Managed to get a few small blocks of wood under the container, but nothing is happening.  It is just a muddy sludge now.   I guess I shall have to wait for a while (weather) and then start to bucket it out, but can only lift about half a bucket at a time.

The plant leaves have started to go yellow/brown.   I have never thrown a plant away, but am beginning to feel like I want to with this one.     Mrs B

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 43 queries.