spring onions

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

spring onions
« on: October 21, 2020, 15:29 »
just thinking about ordering  my spring onion seeds for growing next season i was looking at several varieties the cheapest was white lisbon  being a bulb type spring onion that we normally grow but then i thought i mite give the non bulbing type's  a try although the non bulbing type seeds are a bit more money i looked at a variety called Guardsman said to be Hybrid white lisbon/Japanese cross that's resistant to bulbing

although we grow and like our spring onions in our salads i find the bulbing types do tend to give me tummy upset so I'm really looking for a milder  spring onion if that's possible and i thought the non bulbing variety would not be as strong as the bulbing ones?

I've also looked at other spring onions varieties non bulbing varieties like Darcy carel and entita but i think i mite go with Guardsman :unsure: any comments on the above varieties  or any other varieties would be most welcome

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: spring onions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 18:00 »
I like to grow Ishikura a Japanese bunching onion with AGM, here, it doesn't seem to get too strong like some do, and you can use the whole thing sliced in stir-fries, as well. If left long enough it looks just like a baby leek :)

https://www.seedaholic.com/onion-bunching-ishikura.html

Guardsman looks very similar, which also has an AGM. DT Brown says that it's resistant to Onion While Rot, as well
https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds-1/Spring_2/Onion-Spring-Guardsman-AGM-Seeds.html

Mr Dog

Re: spring onions
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 20:13 »
I've grown Guardsman the last couple of years. They grow quite tall and are mild flavour. They stood well into winter without any sign of bulbing. I'll be buying more seed for next year.

xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Spring Onions

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 06:49
by DD.
xx
spring onions

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 22:51
by Salmo

Page created in 0.845 seconds with 32 queries.