Meccano addict on a new project...

• 5 Replies

Growster...

Meccano addict on a new project...
« on: October 14, 2020, 05:28 »
As a late-middle-aged teenager, I try and do as much shopping etc., on my bike, which is an electric lady, and a joy to take along all our local hills.

But catastrophe has struck!

I'd noticed a squeal coming from the rear wheel, and far too late realised that the brake block had worn down to the metal, and had gouged a scar from the rim, such that the wheel literally got the hump (thanks to KCC drain-cover People), and collapsed a mile and a half from home! The 'Long March' only took half an hour...

But here's the challenge! Refit a new rim, which was bought from a well-known conveyor of such items, (Ebay), and try again!

• New rim is slightly different diameter - tick.
    So the old spokes don't fit - tick.
    The bike people around here, including the big national one, don't want to know;  (they all like selling bikes, but only shiny new ones at 3,000 a pop and rising) - tick.
    I liked Meccano as a kid, and still do, so its the new wet-weather project - tick!

Lots of options, but it's all been dismantled, cleaned up and ready for a foray into the unknown...

...I may be some time...

GraciesGran

• Experienced Member
Re: Meccano addict on a new project...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 06:31 »
I'd have suggested Evendens at Paddock Wood.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 07:20 »
I'd have suggested Evendens at Paddock Wood.

I'd totally forgotten about them, Graciesgran! Shame on me!

Do you remember them when they worked out of a small garden shed in Maidstone Road? We always went there for second-hand bikes, and now they're in much larger premises the other end of Paddock Wood! A great firm to deal with too! I think there also used to be a place in Queens Road, Hastings, where I used to gawp through the shop window at the Triumph Palm Beach bikes...

Hmmm - you've got me thinking even more now - tick...

GraciesGran

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 10:09 »
Kids first bikes came from the shed on the Maidstone road and were upgraded on a regular basis, all at least 2nd hand.  Great service, lovely people.  Still the same in the new shop.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 20:48 »
Kids first bikes came from the shed on the Maidstone road and were upgraded on a regular basis, all at least 2nd hand.  Great service, lovely people.  Still the same in the new shop.

GraciesGran, Thank you so much! I went there just this morning after a phone call!

They're still the lovely people we both remember, and were so helpful! We had a few laughs, some genuine help, and I'll get a call when they can sort me out! What a great firm they are! No frills, just super guys and Mrs Gal as well, who remembered my phonecall as 'Mr Spokes'!

(I now want the Bosch bike in the window - 3,999! Told the guy I'd come back - er - some day soon -  sure to...)!

GraciesGran

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 21:49 »
Glad you've got it sorted.

xx
I'm Ches and I'm and addict...

Started by ches on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 22:29
by ches
xx
My latest project

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 20:59
by Growster...
clip
New photography project

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 15:39
by Blackpool rocket

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 41 queries.