Wondering what we've got ourselves into

• 31 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Wondering what we've got ourselves into
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 09:57 »
FWIW, that shiny cardboard is shiny because of a thin coating of kaolin clay that accepts ink better. This is one of the chief uses for kaolin.  The shiny cardboard should be safe as long as the printing ink is safe.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

SethL

Re: Wondering what we've got ourselves into
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2021, 14:37 »
It's been a while. Sorry for not responding to anyone's posts, I kind of forgot I'd made this thread and had no idea so many people had responded.

Just thought I would do an update. We decided to go for No Dig after watching a lot of Charles Dowding videos. As we only moved in at the end of summer we had quite a lot of cardboard which was fortunate. Planned out a space to aim for as our growing area and cut all the grass, nettles, etc down with a strimmer back in October. Made our first bed in November and planted about 100 garlic. Got a good deal on 30m² of spent mushroom compost and have started laying out our growing areas. The rough grass we had is pretty tussocky, I dug out the biggest lumps but not all of them so the cardboard doesn't lay totally flat, but hopefully over time things will level out.

Inherited a large rhubarb with the house which I dug up, split, and moved into the paddock so now we have 4 rhubarbs, plus 4 more tiny ones from bits of broken root I potted up which I suppose I will give away. Luckily we love rhubarb.

Bought probably way too many seeds. I am just pretty excited now that spring is here.

Also in the process of putting up a First Tunnels polytunnel (tried an OutSunny one from Amazon first but it got totally flattened by the wind within 24 hours). Going to put a fruit cage up alongside the polytunnel as well. Am also going to have a go at some hugelkultur beds because we have a ton of hedge trimmings and our garden shredder can't really cope.

In the far corner of the paddock I'm planning to do a wildlife area, have started by stripping the turf from an area and sowing a mix of meadow grasses/flowers and cornfield annuals, they seem to be doing ok so far.
IMG_20210305_170032352_copy_1638x1229.jpg

xx
I was wondering if anyone could help me please....

Started by nuttytart on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 20:31
by nuttytart
clip
California Wondering

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 14:36
by Dr_Pepper
xx
Wondering if there is still time ... ?

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 11:53
by VickyR
xx
i was just wondering/being noisey

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 12:24
by p00rstudent

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 38 queries.