Moving Roses

• 17 Replies

Babycat

• Experienced Member
Moving Roses
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:02 »
I am moving house in march and I want to take two roses with me for very sentimental reasons; one was new (shrub, queen of denmark) and planted out last year so is fairly easy to get out but the other is a 2 year old rambler which is about 5ft tall now.  

For the latter, do I chop it down to 2feet high now while it is still a bit sleepy and then pot it with supporting canes?

BTW - both are going in large pots for now until I can gauge the sun and other plants in the new garden.

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Moving Roses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 13:37 »
You could cut it further down than 2 feet IMO, just look for buds, on a rose they can just look like a curved line on the stem, each is capable off growing a bud. Get as much roots as you can and all should be well .  :)

And now is the time to do it while they are still dormant.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Babycat

• Experienced Member
hello
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 15:14 »
thank you Rich - can I plant in regular compost or should I get something special for them?

Dreading placing that rambler - it is prolific to say the least!

x Gina

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moving Roses
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 15:17 »
Normal will be just fine, what variety rambler is it ?

We have "kiftsgate" along the back fence, between that and the blackberry I think they are trying to take over the world    :roll:  :lol:

Babycat

• Experienced Member
not a clue
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 15:36 »
I need to look at the labels in the shed when the little one is asleep but I checked the david austin site and it looks like the Ghislaine de Féligonde but I am pretty sure it is called something else. The flowers are astonishing - apricot orange yellow and it has a lovely fragrance too.
It is quite 'sticky outy' if you know what I mean - hard to train up the trellis so I need to think carefully about how I plant it.  Considering a westerly position up a wall as a security measure....keep the riff raff out.

I will also be getting my all time favourite rose which is the Cardinal Hume from Harkness roses - cant beat it for colour and it has a lovely shape.

Babycat

• Experienced Member
aha!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 16:15 »
Aha!  found the labels - it is a Lady Hillingdon.

Trillium

Moving Roses
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 16:26 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
We have "kiftsgate" along the back fence, between that and the blackberry I think they are trying to take over the world    :roll:  :lol:

Just read in an older issue of The English Garden that people who grow that variety are either large landowners  or  rather foolish. I take it you're the former Richy?  :wink:

gobs

Moving Roses
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 16:44 »
Good you found that label I was wondering what a dwarf rambler you have their, that is a climbing tea rose, so just cut it down to about six inches from ground and train in the new place as needed.

I probably would give the pots a miss myself and just move them once in March. Roses are not too deep rooted, so should not be a problem to lift a 2 year old. For the very reason some of them struggle near house walls.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Babycat

• Experienced Member
thank you
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 19:15 »
Ta Gobs - have to put them in a holding pattern until we are in the house as no idea how the sun works yet on the property.  There are several options at the moment, the security conscious one was just an option.

Feel sad leaving the other roses in the garden but the rest are too established by now to start mucking about with.

Oh well - a new shopping opportunity right there  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moving Roses
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 19:59 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Just read in an older issue of The English Garden that people who grow that variety are either large landowners  or  rather foolish. I take it you're the former Richy?  :wink:

Erm no  :lol:

it does get rather carried away with itself sometimes, but it keeps the kids at bay from the bit of copse behind us  :wink:

Trillium

Moving Roses
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 21:34 »
Roses do do a wonderful job of vandal-proofing things.
At a former house deep in the city, I had very noisy neighbours perpendicular to my backyard who loved to yak outside until the wee hours (while the rest of us tried to sleep for work). So I dumped a big load of fresh chicken poo beside where they sat and planted a really thorny rose and some raspberries. Never heard or saw the neighbours after the next day and the berries and roses loved the lashings of oops.  :lol:

chrissie B

Moving Roses
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 13:27 »
i have moved all my roses because of the headge goes mad and they dont get enough sun , happy to say all are budding like mad and will be getting there bananas soon , when i can get hubby to eat more cos its for the greater good .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Babycat

• Experienced Member
bananas
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 20:03 »
BANANAS??

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Re: bananas
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 20:07 »
Quote from: "Babycat"
BANANAS??

High in potash good for the flowers  :D

Babycat

• Experienced Member
super
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 20:36 »
Super - I eat a disturbing amount of bananas so I have lots of compost from them as well.  Do you just dig them in or scatter around?

xx
moving roses

Started by loobs61 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 20:42
by Yorkie
xx
Moving Roses

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 11:03
by mumofstig
xx
moving/pruning roses

Started by stickywicket on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 07:44
by stickywicket
xx
Roses

Started by Novice on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2006, 09:47
by chutneymaster

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 36 queries.