Jamie Oliver's Chicken Dinners

• 18 Replies

Des C

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 11:27 »
There is a major price distinction between organic £10 and free range £5 chickens. The comparison between the £2 cruelly mass produced bird and organic birds is unhelpful.  What baffles me is the country's obsession with chicken as a food source. What about other meats, fish or non-meat alternatives?
Poultry was always considered a bit of a luxury when I was younger, with the whole bird used. Production is now so cheap and inhumane that many people, including those on low incomes featured on HFW's programme, admitted to dumping the carcass after eating only the white meat.
With attitudes like this, poultry will continue to be viewed as an agricultural product unworthy of humane consideration.
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE! MASS PRODUCTION METHODS ARE INHERENTLY CRUEL!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 11:58 »
Thanks Des, I totally agree with you - no need to shout though, we're chatting! :)

There is a lot of confusion about organic and free range. Allowing a chicken to roam around and live happily is free range. Organic standards refer to the feed and so forth, not how the bird is treated. (I think)

We find it hard to afford organic - but we can afford free range easily. A chicken will provide at least two meals, some sandwiches plus the basis for a stock or soup. And a treat for our cats :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 12:14 »
I suppose any meat or food which can be intensively produced and will have a high demand is going to attract the GM industry to try and manufacture breeds which will live long enough to fatten up without dying prematurely in extreme conditions.
Whether it be a chicken, pig, cow or onion. The accountants see the bottom line shrinking while the supermarkets push down the prices down.
The only way of influencing the market is either by legislation which obviously won't happen or by demand which is starting to have an effect.
Once people can make an educated personal choice, they now know they can also use that power to change the supply.
But you can't force morality on the public. If no-one cares, then no-one cares.
I gave up fishing because I decided I was being cruel. Most fishermen would disagree.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 12:43 »
I saw the Jamie prog where he showed the intensive farming and the RSPCA standard sheds and to be honest I wasn't really impressed. A bit of extra space and a ball to kick doesn't make up for fresh air and grass under their feet but because the RSPCA are happy so is everyone else!

But a debate on the RSPCA is another matter!

Yes there are other supermarkets out there. We then have the carbon footprint and food miles problem of me having to get into a car and travel a minimum 30 mins to another supermarket and 30 mins back to get my free range goods and other shopping whilst abandoning my local shops that are so desperate for my support.  

Unfotunately there is no win win situation and something or somebody will always suffer whilst the shops put profit before ethics.  :(
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

xx
My Sunday dinners are coming on well !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 22:59
by Vember
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
My one and only chicken

Started by redreet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2017, 12:58
by snowdrops
xx
My chicken is ill?

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 17:49
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 36 queries.