how do they do it?

• 9 Replies

rowlandwells

how do they do it?
« on: August 27, 2020, 09:12 »
the wife and me where looking  round a farmers shop yesterday when i seen some lovely cauliflowers it said locally grown on our farm they where quite a good size selling at £1.25 each

it made me think how do they grow cauliflowers that good when ours are like golf balls and only fit for the compost bin the only cauli we get good results from are those grown overwinter I've got to be doing something wrong with growing summer cauliflowers is it the variety I'm growing is it the ground summer cauliflowers i wish

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: how do they do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:26 »
I know the feeling RW, I've given up trying Summer caulis (but I can grow Autumn Calabrese quite well :) )

Down here the farmers have to use an awful lot of water on their cauli fields, to get a decent sized head. If you drive out round Kent, you see the water spinners working all the time.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33 »
It is about knowing the exact requirements of the plant and giving it to them plain and simple. What you have to remember is that the farmers buy their plants which are most definitely F1 so the get a perfect product. The ground the are going to be grown in is treated with every potion known to man to make sure that pH, fertility , drainage and pest free perfect soil is waiting for these transplants, which are then planted at the correct depth and spacing to grow them perfectly. At the end of the day the plant they bought has been transformed into a marketable product that they are getting a price for which gives them a profit while still allowing these plants to be pampered to the market place. Of course that is not saying you could not grow them like that at your allotment but you would have to do a lot of dedicated work for a few cauli's  :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 16:39 »
yes i take your point Jambop but we also buy good quality FI seed the same seed as the commercial grower and our cauli flowers are raised from seed to planting out in our greenhouses or poly tunnel before transplanting into a raised bed that's prep'd prior to planting

the only thing missing is constant water only hand watering? now a friend of ours grows cauliflowers in another village on his allotment not FI seed no faffing about with pre-prep no manure only a good quality fertilizer and he has good quality cauliflowers but his allotments has good black soil much better than our allotments

i tend to agree with Mum watering plays a very important part of growing good quality cauliflowers because as i said in my original topic we have very good results from overwintering  cauliflowers that are raised from seed in the poly tunnel for spring planting the variety we grow are Boris good big cauliflowers
not a problem

so it looks like I've got 2 options 1 grow autumn calabrese or 2  work harder to grow summer cauliflowers  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 16:58 »
O" i forgot to mention marrows where selling at £0.95 each I've got 3 quid's worth sitting outside our back door  :D

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 17:40 »
the wife and me where looking  round a farmers shop yesterday when i seen some lovely cauliflowers it said locally grown on our farm they where quite a good size selling at £1.25 each

it made me think how do they grow cauliflowers that good when ours are like golf balls and only fit for the compost bin the only cauli we get good results from are those grown overwinter I've got to be doing something wrong with growing summer cauliflowers is it the variety I'm growing is it the ground summer cauliflowers i wish
Used to be a farmer back in Hampshire would grow 10 acres of them all the size of footballs and his cabbage were as big as medicine balls !
A friend had known him and even helped him at harvest time but never managed crops like the farmer on the allotment. :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 18:38 »
As chums from Kent will know, salty air is reckoned to be helpful to brassicas - you only have to drive around Thanet to understand that, and for that matter Thanet Earth (toms, cuces, peppers) is there as well, so something must suit them!

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=446.15

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 18:52 »
I grow Clapton and Candid Charm caulies and don't use any chemicals whatsoever.  I'm no expert, but always have good sized, tight, clean heads.  They are greedy feeders, and I usually use fish blood and bone to give them a long, steady feed, together with plenty of water. I grow them under scaffold netting and I stitch up the little slots that you sometimes get in it because the butterflies will squeeze through these. Clapton doesn't suffer from it, but Candid Charm is possibly prone to club root if you have it on your plot, so I always lime the bed well a few weeks before planting.  I would imagine that they need a decent soil and probably wouldn't grow very well on thin, sandy soils, so I'm lucky to have quite a heavy soil.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 21:16 »

Used to grow a variety called Dominant from Kings seeds, then it was taken off the market, lots of very good caulis, though with the odd caterpillar or two in each head.

Never had the same success with other varieties that I have tried!

Out of a dozen plants planted earlier I have been left with five, the rest were massacred by caterpillars and slugs and snails.

The earlier sowing of seeds failed to germinate.
STOP, and smell the roses!

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 10:04 »
it sounds like you've cracked growing cauliflowers jaydig I've taken on board your feedback that's definitely worth trying next season and logged it in my garden log

i have also been looking at some of the varieties commercial growers use and the setting tables of the varieties some that are not listed in the ordinary seed catalogues  some of the F1 seed is quite expensive i also note that the sowings start from Jan to mid May

but once again very interesting replies from all who have commented many thanks

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 30 queries.