Blight

• 17 Replies

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: Blight
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 01:06 »
Blight does tend to go round allotments like wildfire but some varieties have greater resistance than others.  I find beefsteak tomatoes like Marmande much more susceptible than cherry tomatoes like Gardeners' Delight.   How you grow the tomatoes appears less important than the variety you grow.   Indoor tomatoes survive better but at the expense of flavour.   When blight is likely to strike, harvesting green tomatoes to ripen indoors is a good strategy to adopt as they will ripen well off the plant if given enough time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 09:35 »
CHRISDONOHUE: Indoor tomatoes survive better but at the expense of flavour.

IMO that's not necessarily so; for flavour - choice of variety is very important, if growing in the greenhouse (or outside tbh)
Many of us have spent literally years, trying different varieties (often swapping seeds) 'til we find our personal favourites. Once you find good'uns you stick with them :)

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 12:21 »
Luckily (phew and fingers crossed), we haven't had blight this year, but something else strange has happened...

Two years ago, a chum gave me just one tom from his first 'Mountain Magic', which are supposed to be resistant. I grew some last year and they were alright, but this year, they're refusing to turn red, and are staying yellow! It's on just two plants out of about eight.

Chums here may remember an experiment I tried a few years ago, with sowing old Crimson Crush seeds, and ending up with two distinctive arrays of fruit and leaves, all from the same seed lot! One strain, with a very broad leaf, just motored, while the other faded and stopped with the hump!

The following year, we only grew the broad-leafed plants and they just went berserk, and were superb, but incredibly distorted, and very plain to look at, (although the fruit was just fine)!

Now we don't have 'The Patch', I've rather stopped experimenting, as there's only a largish garden to work in, and there are other things we like just as well!

I'll let you know if the Mountain Magic ever start to blush - which they may well do after a few well-chosen syllables from yours truly...

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
another blight maybe

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 16:30
by gillie
xx
blight

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:21
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
is it blight?

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 17:35
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 41 queries.