Onions

• 11 Replies

Martin Turton

Onions
« on: August 20, 2020, 08:41 »
Just got back from France where we had lots of fresh Salads but OMG.. the Spring Onions are huge and Bulbus. Any idea as to what sort they would be so we can look for >>SEED<< lol. We took this pic to give some idea on size. This onion is a week old now brought it home to try plant for seed.
IMG_20200820_081106.jpg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 14:16 by Martin Turton »

Kleftiwallah

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 08:46 »

the Spring Onions are huge and Bulbus. Any idea as to what sort they would be so we can look for dead.?   I usually look around the key trying to figure out the mis key, but I'm stumped

Clarification please!     Cheers,  Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

jambop

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 13:08 »
Just got back from France where we had lots of fresh Salads but OMG.. the Spring Onions are huge and Bulbus. Any idea as to what sort they would be so we can look for dead. We took this pic to give some idea on size.
I have to say that is not like any spring onion would buy where I stay. The spring onions we would buy are usually have a bulb about 30-40mm in diameter and very white with no dry skin at all and a very fresh green leaf normally three or four in a bunch.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 14:09 by jambop »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 13:31 »
Silverskin onions?  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Martin Turton

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 14:21 »
Just got back from France where we had lots of fresh Salads but OMG.. the Spring Onions are huge and Bulbus. Any idea as to what sort they would be so we can look for SEED!!!. We took this pic to give some idea on size. These were in bunches of 5-6 and taist like spring onions granted this one is past its best on looks, we intended planting for seed but doubt it will make it.
I have to say that is not like any spring onion would buy where I stay. The spring onions we would buy are usually have a bulb about 30-40mm in diameter and very white with no dry skin at all and a very fresh green leaf normally three or four in a bunch.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 15:06 »
 :unsure:

Paris Silverskin onions are the type I'm thinking of...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 15:27 »
Or Cipolline onion seeds from Seeds of Italy
Cipollini have more residual sugar than your average onion

https://seedsofitaly.com/onion-borettana-of-parma/

jambop

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 16:22 »
Or Cipolline onion seeds from Seeds of Italy
Cipollini have more residual sugar than your average onion

https://seedsofitaly.com/onion-borettana-of-parma/
No the onions sold as salad onions here are nothing like those, which I have grown they are very flat and quite small. They are just like a very large bulbous spring onion. The onion shown in that photograph is not what anybody would term a spring onion in the part of France I live in, or any other area I have been in. The onion in the photograph ,to me , is simply a common or garden white onion that has been pulled while the top is green and sold at market. Paris silver skin onions are a small onion so not that. Now there is a very special onion grown in the Auvergne CĂ©vennes sweet onions but that would not be termed a spring onion. I cannot help with a varietal name. I actually had one onion out of maybe a hundred I grew that turned out quite like that onion and it was grow from seed... of long florence ? Must have been an albino :lol:

This is what I would call a spring onion down our way. This maybe what the OP had bought at the market and it has dried up... I have rarely seen them sold as big as the on in the picture though. Who knows though sometimes you buy a packet of seed and they turn out nothing like those shown on the packet.

https://www.graines-semences.com/legumes/75-oignon-extra-hatif-de-barletta-200-graines-5420007517861.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 16:32 by jambop »

Martin Turton

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 16:46 »
the onions were sold as salad onions down in the Auvergne Rh�Alps 63330 and look very much like the Barletta onion they are just like a very large bulbous spring onion. The onion shown in the photograph is over a week old now( we brought some back to try replant in the hope of getting some seed.  Several of the onions were the size of small limes. Far smaller than the normal red Brown and sweet white onion the onion Jonny's on there bikes use to sell. Think I will order some of the Barletta onions as they do look the same. Thanks for all the help.

jambop

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 16:53 »
the onions were sold as salad onions down in the Auvergne Rh�Alps 63330 and look very much like the Barletta onion they are just like a very large bulbous spring onion. The onion shown in the photograph is over a week old now( we brought some back to try replant in the hope of getting some seed.  Several of the onions were the size of small limes. Far smaller than the normal red Brown and sweet white onion the onion Jonny's on there bikes use to sell. Think I will order some of the Barletta onions as they do look the same. Thanks for all the help.
I think the onions you have bought, at the market ?, Will more than likely be something like the Barletta onions these are the classic French spring onion and are very mild. They can be grown on to maturity to make sweet onion confit which is great with cheeses and cold cuts. The one in the picture is a woppa !

Martin Turton

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 17:20 »
jambop many thanks we were thinking along the lines of a white Lisbon on Steroids. All the bulbs were different sized and shaped not like a silver skin where they tend to be uniform. But they had a great flavour in the salad. My next post will be on Rhubarb and what varieties are suitable for southern central france. Being from West Yorkshire we like our rhubarb crumble...

jambop

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 17:29 »
jambop many thanks we were thinking along the lines of a white Lisbon on Steroids. All the bulbs were different sized and shaped not like a silver skin where they tend to be uniform. But they had a great flavour in the salad. My next post will be on Rhubarb and what varieties are suitable for southern central france. Being from West Yorkshire we like our rhubarb crumble...

So do you live in France? Or do you have a holiday home? I do not have rhubarb in my garden there was some but it bolted immediately so I got rid of it. It just gets so hot and dry where we are that I have not tried to get some new plants... maybe one for thinking about in the autumn. I have just come in out of the garden and it is blistering at the moment 37C and it is going to be warm right through the night again 26C how the hell are you meant to get to sleep... shear exhaustion at the moment. Anyway back to what I was going to say our figs are just coming on stream now a good two to three weeks early but because it has been so dry and hot they have a sweetness we have never had in the 15 years we have been here going to have a few of those with some goat cheese tonight yum yum!

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 41 queries.