Raspberry problems

• 4 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Raspberry problems
« on: August 18, 2020, 14:32 »
Two years in a row I have planted raspberries and they have died - didn't even sprout.
I wonder if the problem is that the soil is quite heavy clay.  Could I add organic matter and gravel?
I did plant quite close to blackberries could that be part of the problem?
First time bare rooted, second containerised and I did soak them for about 20 minutes each time IIRC.
My preparation could have been better, I just dug and added some compost to them

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 16:25 »
They do like clay soil - I think it has just been too hot and dry for them, they really prefer a 'Scottish' climate to the Mediterranean style one we've had this summer .
Even the row that has been here forever, with a huge root run, had very few fruits and really doesn't look happy right now, despite a few buckets of water now and then  :( So I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about them, it's just bad luck!

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 16:31 »
They do like clay soil - I think it has just been too hot and dry for them, they really prefer a 'Scottish' climate to the Mediterranean style one we've had this summer .
Even the row that has been here forever, with a huge root run, had very few fruits and really doesn't look happy right now, despite a few buckets of water now and then  :( So I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about them, it's just bad luck!
But they died last year as well. Also this year they didn't even last to the heat wave.  Or should I have been watering during winter?  I was ill during late March this year and early April (I had Covid)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 16:53 »
Bought some Joan J last winter and planted them where I had previously been growing Autumn Bliss, and they've really struggled.
It serves me right because I knew about raspberry replant disease but hoped I'd get away with it (still hoping they do better next year, and I did plant one in a new patch of soil as a backup.)

Were yours planted where raspberries had been growing previously (not just the previous year?)

If not, it might be a drainage issue - they don't like waterlogged soil.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 17:07 »
Bought some Joan J last winter and planted them where I had previously been growing Autumn Bliss, and they've really struggled.
It serves me right because I knew about raspberry replant disease but hoped I'd get away with it (still hoping they do better next year, and I did plant one in a new patch of soil as a backup.)

Were yours planted where raspberries had been growing previously (not just the previous year?)

If not, it might be a drainage issue - they don't like waterlogged soil.
Thanks for that no raspberries had been there in 2018 - not sure about previous years but I doubt it.

clip
Raspberry problems?

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 07:51
by mdjlucan
xx
Raspberry problems

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:06
by woodburner
clip
Raspberry leaf problems

Started by Potatogoddess on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2016, 22:23
by Salmo
xx
raspberry problems; help needed

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 09:09
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 38 queries.