The best dwarf beans

• 19 Replies

Anton

The best dwarf beans
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:59 »
Help please. When the health crisis started, I was unable to source any seeds from anywhere, as the shops were shut but I had about five different, unopened, packets of dwarf beans which I bought last year.
The first two rows of beans failed because I think it was too cold. I resowed two rows, then some  more weeks later,  and so I now have five times two rows.

I duly noted the times the beans were sown and when they emerged but I foolishly never thought about noting down the varieties!

The first two rows have been producing beans for the last five or six weeks or so (amazingly productive and tasty beans).

The second two rows produced spindly looking beans and the plants have started turning yellow, so a bit of a failure.

So my question is what are your favourite varieties of dwarf beans in terms of productivity and taste please. This will help me to make the right choice next season. Thank you in advance.

jaydig

Re: The best dwarf beans
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 13:53 »
Castandel without a doubt.  They crop early, about a couple of weeks before other varieties, produce massive crops of long, tasty beans that are very slow to go "old".  I tried another couple of varieties this year, but still prefer Castandel.  I'm sure that others will all have their favourites as anything that involves taste is very subjective, and of course the climate in this country varies wildly from one end to the other. I'm in Worcestershire, if this helps at all.

Anton

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 14:37 »
Thanks Jajdig. That sounds good, I will note that down. I am near Brussels, Belgium.

I was just looking online to see if they sell them in Belgium. They says they can be sown in October and November in the warmer parts of France and between March and June in all regions.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 15:11 »
I grew Roi des Beurres this a year for the first time. It is a yellow haricot type and it was both tasty and very productive. I just think dwarf green beans are dwarf green beans to be honest never really notice much change in flavour I have grown a variety called Slenderette which was also tasty and productive. The other variety I grew this year was Purple queen, it turns green when cooked, which were tasty and productive... although I think they were Purple King which is the climbing variety rather than the dwarf because I had to make a support for them some how the supplier got things mixed up I think dwarf for me is about 50-60cm not the 1.5 - 2 m  the ones I grew turned out to be  :lol:

Anton

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 15:45 »
Thanks Jambop

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 18:28 »
Mascotte if you like fine beans. Very productive and tasty.

Anton

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 20:20 »
Thanks for all this advice.

By the way, I also  planted three rows of runner beans using different packets I bought last year.
Any thoughts on the best runner beans?

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 20:32 »
I've been pleased with 'Cupidon' Filet Bush Bean although I mainly grow climbers.

I no longer grow runners but I've grown White lady  before on recommendation of other forum members. In recent years I've had some challenges with them rotting before germination so just sow a few extra and keep them on the dryer side.

Anton

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 21:02 »
Thanks Plotty.
"I've been pleased with 'Cupidon' Filet Bush Bean although I mainly grow climbers."
Sorry what do you mean by climbers?

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 21:29 »
"I've been pleased with 'Cupidon' Filet Bush Bean although I mainly grow climbers."
Sorry what do you mean by climbers?

The climbing varieties-sometimes known as pole beans I think.  They need 2.4m canes :)

I like Cosse Violette.

Anton

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 22:53 »
Thanks. Dwarf beans need canes? I always heap the earth up against the beans, a bit like potatoes, to keep them on an even keel. I did not know there were beans you need to tie to canes!

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 11:32 »
French beans have two forms - dwarf and climbing. Personally I prefer climbing ones as they take up less ground space but, as said, need supporting like runner beans. The dwarf ones sometimes need a short cane to stop them flopping over later on in the season.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Anton

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 11:43 »
Thanks Goosegirl.
As a matter of interest, is it too late now to sow another couple of lines of beans?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55 »
I sowed some last week, I always think it's worth the gamble - they should be fine unless we get a very early frost.

Anton

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 11:57 »
Thanks

xx
Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 18:59
by Anton
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
Dwarf beans

Started by baldyman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 00:24
by Trillium
xx
Dwarf beans.

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 12:58
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 54 queries.