VJ Day overtures...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

VJ Day overtures...
« on: August 16, 2020, 06:47 »
Does anyone here know the title of the incredibly touching piece of music which was being played around the moment Prince Charles and the Asian gentleman were placing their wreaths on the scrap of railway?

It really struck a chord here, such that we had to stop watching for a few minutes, it was all so moving!

I'm glad the the BBC were instructed to make this event a salute to British History; thank goodness we have a Military presence who can still command such a memorable day.

The piece is here, at around 1:40 https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lwzt/vj-day-75-the-nation-remembers
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:50 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: VJ Day overtures...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:47 »
Was it Elgar's Nimrod? It is often is played then..

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:53 »
Was it Elgar's Nimrod? It is often is played then..

It's not Nimrod, Mum, I've found the piece on Iplayer and have amended the post so you can hear it!

I agree with you though, 'Nimrod' is just as emotional!

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:11 »
I don't have iPlayer so can't hear it. Let me know if anyone knows what it is please.

VJ Day is just as important but is often known as the forgotten war and why I don't know. The atrocities were just as bad if not worse, and many people refuse to speak about them or their experiences. I'm glad it is now being recognised as it deserves to be.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 16:56 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omd9_FJnerY
Found it!

Wow... what an incredible few moments of thought - deeper than so much...

(Thanks to 'Trick' and 'G' on another site).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 16:58 by Growster... »

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 17:04 »
I don't have iPlayer so can't hear it. Let me know if anyone knows what it is please.

VJ Day is just as important but is often known as the forgotten war and why I don't know. The atrocities were just as bad if not worse, and many people refuse to speak about them or their experiences. I'm glad it is now being recognised as it deserves to be.

Nice one, Goosey, thank you, the link is above.

I've just been chatting to one of my oldest chums as his dad was incarcerated in Changi Jail, and Harry (my mate), went out there a couple of years ago to 'lay a few ghosts'. He is a fabulous friend.

I emailed him to tell him that I had been thinking of him, and we've just had a half-hour on the phone, reminiscing, and how we've been doing so much in retirement.

Blimey, time flies don't it...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 19:31 »
I don't recognise the music, sorry - it may even have been composed for the occasion.

I watched the programme which was shown in the evening, from Horseguards Parade and presented by Joanna Lumley with a whole range of military and civilian music, and recordings of soldiers who were there or whose parents were there.

Incredibly moving and, as someone said earlier in this thread, it's a much overlooked piece of the war.  I knew it was a brutal war but I learnt so much.  Hugely impactful.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 04:24 »
Link to YouTube is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvpQMTY8H9Y

Perfect for the occasion!

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.