SNOWDROPS

• 5 Replies

basketcase

• Experienced Member
SNOWDROPS
« on: August 08, 2020, 12:30 »
Last winter I bought a pot of snowdrops as a present and never got to give it to the person. There wasn't a sign of anything at first (which would have been best because I was travelling and didn't want them to get broken.)  After a while there were green shoots, but then nothing - no further growth, no flowers, leaves died and I put the pot on the verandah and forgot about it.

A few weeks back, I decided not to be such a slob, so I emptied the pot to wash it.  There are a lot of what appear to be nice, fat, white bulbs in the pot.  As the compost was bound by roots, I just put the whole lot back in the pot, meaning to plant the bulbs later.

The question (at last, I hear you cry!) is how do I go about it?  I can put them in a shaded place at the plot with chicken manure etc - but when?  And should I grow them in the pot first or what?

All advice gratefully received!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: SNOWDROPS
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 14:51 »
It is normal for them to die-back to the bulbs during Summer :) If you want to keep them in a pot, maybe move them now to a slightly bigger one.
If not plant them somewhere that ideally gets Spring Sunshine but Summer shade, so under deciduous trees and shrubs is ideal :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 14:52 by mumofstig »

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:32 »
Apologies for not getting back earlier - and thank you for the replies.

Think I'll put them in a larger pot for now till they start to shoot and maybe plant them out a bit later.  Presume it's a bit early to start them off now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 14:27 »
Even if you repot and start watering them, they won't start growing until mid-winter ;) They are naturally leafless 'til then..

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 14:54 »
If you do repot  them I suggest you wait until they have flowered in late winter & then plant them in your preferred position & then plant them out as they are generally best if planted (& sold) ‘in the green’ which is exactly that
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 21:56 »
Thanks Mum and snowdrops.

My confusion arises because I bought them from a garden centre when they were showing about 1" of growth (to avoid damage when travelling).  They just never grew on, let alone produce flowers - which is why I assumed they'd died off.  I've never grown snowdrops, so didn't know what to expect.

Think I'll just leave put them in a pot/windowbox and leave them on the verandah to get on with it, then plant them out properly after flowering (as advised).

Thanks again.

xx
First snowdrops

Started by happy chick on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 09:54
by Salmo
xx
Snowdrops

Started by wyandotty on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 20:36
by spottymint
xx
Snowdrops

Started by Yorkie on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 20:42
by DD.
xx
Where are my snowdrops??

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 15:09
by moonosbailey

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 37 queries.