Rose problem

• 5 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Rose problem
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:57 »
Hello,

I've been asked to ask about a rose problem. The lady repotted her rose in the past couple of weeks. Which was thriving and now is not. It's shed it's blossoms and the leaves are dying off, she wants to prune it back to tidy it up. I told her it was the wrong time of year, never move things out with the winter and do not prune it. She's given it the shock of it's life, it's a proper thing called transplant shock and don't touch it until I get back to her. She wants to get the blood and bonemeal out, I wasn't sure if that was a good idea either in case she over does it.

What do I advise her to do from here as I'm out with my experience?
It's been very humid, a lot of downpours lasting all or several days. It's been windy, warm but not very hot, wicked cold a lot of the time. We've had jumpers on, hot water bottles at night and other people have had the fire on.

Thank you.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rose problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 11:44 »
I'd assume transplant shock as well, what was she thinking, doing it now? oh well  ::)
What has she used to repot it, garden soil or bought in compost?

Assuming it's not cheap multipurpose compost (not beefy enough for rose bushes, they need some soil in the mix, in my experience) then I'd just trim off any dead leaves and flowers, and leave it to hopefully recover.
Remove the pot saucer (if it is standing in one) if you are having a lot of rain, but make sure it doesn't dry out completely once it stops raining  ::)

Good luck!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 14:38 »
What has she used to repot it, garden soil or bought in compost?

Assuming it's not cheap multipurpose compost (not beefy enough for rose bushes, they need some soil in the mix, in my experience) then I'd just trim off any dead leaves and flowers, and leave it to hopefully recover.

She said compost, I'll have to ask if it was rose potting medium.

It's not in a pot saucer.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 19:44 »
Saw her, I've relayed your advice and told her only cut off the dead bits and not to touch until winter when it's dormant.

It's in cheap Aldi/Lidl compost.

I've relayed what you said about roses needing rose compost/topsoil which are a bit beefier than cheap compost.
When she said it was cheap and nasty st uff I advised when it's winter she should get some rose compost or topsoil and leave what is wrapped around the rootball, but try and replace everything else in the pot with rose compost. She is planning on putting bonemeal on to feed it.

Was that all the correct thing to say?

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 12:01 »
I'd say so but think a bag of good topsoil would do as you don't want to feed it at this time of year with rose fertiliser, but bone meal would help it settle in as well as a watering with a dilute seaweed liquid such as Maxicrop. Advise her not to go for cheap compost as it's not worth the bother just to save a few pennies.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 22:25 »
Hello depending on the pot size tell her to use this mix that we used for potting Rose's at the nursery 2 standard buckets of top soi in the nursery(2tons )l 1 bucket of peat (1 ton)1/2 bucket of sharp  grit sand (1/2 ton ) sprinkling of phostrogen fertilizer (5hundred weight)mix together it should survive in this mix   jezza

clip
Rose Problem

Started by carlrmj on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 12:28
by simpson-allen
xx
Help sought with rose problem

Started by tallulah on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 12:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
My Mum's Rose

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 12:46
by tosca100

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 45 queries.