Manure

• 20 Replies

Benny130

• Experienced Member
Manure
« on: August 05, 2020, 16:08 »
Im hoping to give my soil a real boost over winter and thought the best way would be with some manure.

Ive been looking at suppliers and one has quoted the below:
Produced from local stables, who use shaving based bedding for the horses
Odour free and well rotted
Richer than ordinary farm manure
Adds hormones to the soil
Suitable for acidic loving plants - not suitable for vegetables, trees including maple, bur oak etc or honeysuckle vines, lily's etc

It says not suitable to vegetables!? Why would that be do you think? Does any one have a reliable supplier in the south??

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Manure
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 16:27 »
Well, horse manure is normally a little higher in nitrogen than cow manure (which is presumably what they mean by 'farmyard manure'.)

So, that bit makes sense - as for adding hormones to the soil - pass!  :unsure:

Nearly all fully composted organic matter is more or less neutral, so I don't understand the reasoning behind the suggestion that it's only suitable for ericaceous plants (it's only partly decomposed materials, especially pine needles and sphagnum moss which are significantly acidic.)

I would be more interested in having an assurance that the manure is free from herbicide residues.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 17:39 »
So is suitable for veg?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 19:45 »
I'd just ask the question about whether the manure is free from herbicide residues - if you don't get a clear and sensible answer I'd look elsewhere.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 21:10 »
Manure that is contaminated is not supposed to be supplied for vegetable growing so maybe that is why they are saying that it’s not suitable for vegetable growing but it would be ok for ornamentals. It is either contaminated or they are just covering their @rses! There is the bean test you can do to check for contamination
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 11:49 »
Good morning everyone,

I was told that in the process of decomposition / rotting down wood chippings need nitrogen and they take this from the soil the manure has been dug into (into which the manure has been dug for the pedants amongst us).

Seems a good theory...   Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 15:19 »
I would agree that there is a possibility of chemical contamination.  A lot of people had problems in the not too distant past with distorted and useless veg resulting from compost that contained aminopyralid.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 05:38 »
So is suitable for veg?

I would take them at their word on that one - if they specifically say it is not suitable for vegetables, don't put it on anything you would eat.  Full stop.  Look for other sources.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 06:53 »
Several years ago, we got hold of some manure from a local stables, which actually had a problem getting rid of it all, so it was free. I suppose we got about a ton eventually, and it filled an insulated compost heap, 4'*4'*3'. (The heap was made from old composite steel panels, used for supermarket walls, and was a fabulous place to compost anything).

After a year of working, (sometimes the panels got too hot to touch), it reduced to about half, and became the best compost we'd ever had!

So, I've probably told you as much as you already know; go to a decent stable supplier, using straw based bedding, but compost it as best you can, as it'll be too new, and get the benefits next year...

...you may be in time for it to reduce by the winter this year, so could use it by the end of December!

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 19:42 »
Hi, can't help with your query sorry but talking manure, does it need to be on soil to get it to rot down like compost bins or could i stack it on plastic? Have a Marestail, nettle, bindweed problem so trying to compost without introducing those into "clean" raised beds? Linda
Many thanks👍🍓🌻

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 22:39 »
Hi, can't help with your query sorry but talking manure, does it need to be on soil to get it to rot down like compost bins or could i stack it on plastic? Have a Marestail, nettle, bindweed problem so trying to compost without introducing those into "clean" raised beds? Linda
Many thanks

If you are composting difficult weeds, (1) let it compost for a longer time (a year?), and (2) turn the whole pile so that any incorporated seeds sprout, then turn again. Keep turning until there are no more sprouting weeds.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 22:44 »
Hi the original information about the manure says that it adds hormones to the soil. I’m not sure if that might mean that the horses are given hormones and that would go into the soil ( and veg?). Don’t think I want/need hormones in my soil ....

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 12:05 »
I decided on a local farmer to deliver me some cow manure. Quite a bit more than I was expecting  :nowink: but I’m really pleased with it.

He said it was about 6 months old. After he tipped it I was expecting it to give off heat. But it doesn’t appear to be. Hardly smells at all but it quite wet. Would you think this is rotted enough to spend on beds straight away or should I give it another couple months to break down further?
168E79D0-6F40-487D-AC57-0FB7C9F3C8FA.jpeg
926217A8-2E5C-4B53-AC0F-E36C4078326F.jpeg
88E4C233-0ECE-4F03-8F0E-128D456F4E34.jpeg
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:06 by Benny130 »

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 13:02 »
Hi. I would still do the bean test to make sure it doesn’t have aminopyralid in it. It looks good to me. I do ‘no dig’ gardening so (once I’d done the test) I would just spread it on top of the beds and leave it to break down more over winter. I often find that our manure delivery has some less well rotted bits (e.g. visible clumps of straw). I put them in my compost bins and they compost down well

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 14:15 »
Yup, as Potterer says, spread it around on the beds, it'll dry anyway, and next year you'll have a great start to the season, with fewer weeds, and a nice place to work in as well!

Make sure you leave no gaps though, the stuff really needs to be plastered over each area you want to grow, as weeds - usually perennials, will just jump at the chance to have a bit of sky in any gap and a good meal nearby...

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 54 queries.