Aubergine's leaves dying off

• 6 Replies

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
Aubergine's leaves dying off
« on: August 01, 2020, 17:23 »
Planted in my pollytunnel, grown to about 2ft high, have flowers and in the last week leaves started to wilt and then go brown, no fruit yet but the plants look like they are dying.
Grown in a bed (about ba foot deep on a bed of soil) filled with spent compost from last years tomato bags, some 1yr old horse manure and also mixed some chicken manure pellets.
Also growing in the tunnel are sweet pepers (next to them), tomatoes and cucumbers, watered four or five times a week, seemed healthy until now.
Same thing happened last year about this stage.
Any help would be greatfully received

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubergine's leaves dying off
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 17:41 »
Could be not enough water at root level because it is just too darn hot in the tunnel just now. How much ventilation has the tunnel got?

jambop

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 18:17 »
I don't know why but I see this with my plants too. These are grown out doors though. I am still getting some lovely big aubergines from them though. We have had some really hot dry weather for the last 6 weeks and I think they just lose the odd leaf now and again. The do like hot weather so I am not doubting it is watering is a possibility that is the problem but you say you are watering regularly?? Here is a photo taken two minutes ago of my plants you can see some leaf browning which has been happening since early on... but still some really nice fruit?
DSCN4085.JPG

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 17:24 »
Thank you for the replies, I think your right about the heat in the tunnel, next year I shall try them outside.
The tunnel has a door at each end which has netting on the upperhalf but even then I have seen max temps at the 45 oC level.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 18:12 »
Thank you for the replies, I think your right about the heat in the tunnel, next year I shall try them outside.
The tunnel has a door at each end which has netting on the upperhalf but even then I have seen max temps at the 45 oC level.
I would honestly keep them in the tunnel 45C is by no means a high temperature for these plants. I grow them here where we get shade temperatures of 37 and up in the summer is not at all unusual go out into the sun and it is very much hotter. I really think it would be a mistake to grow them outside in the UK if you really want a good return from your plants...especially when you can grow them in a nice warm tunnel. I know people down here who grow their tomatoes, peppers and Aubergines tunnels... last year we had shade temperatures of 44C  :ohmy: As long as you water them properly they should be OK. Whereas growing them outside leaves them open to temperatures they will not like at all and significantly shorten your growing season

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 19:57 »
I think it depends what kind of aubergines you are growing when assessing whether a poly tunnel might be too hot for them.

A lot of the seed varieties sold in the UK are actually designed for outdoor growing or picked because they perform better in our climate, even under cover.  I have one this year which is sold as a patio variety and it has been struggling in the greenhouse.  All the flowers were going brown and falling off without setting fruit.

I moved it outside and it has perked up no end.  I picked the first fruits today  :)  As the summer wanes, I shall no doubt shunt it back into the greenhouse, but for now, it is fine outside.

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 12:21 »
A happy update
Gave them some more water and a liquid feed and hey presto got about six fruits now, growing well as far as I can see
Happy days

xx
Aubergine Leaves Under Attack

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 14:32
by Trillium
xx
Potato leaves dying

Started by Nufan182 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 10:48
by JayG
xx
Here we go again-whitening leaves and dying

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 23:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cucumber leaves dying

Started by arronc on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 14:00
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 47 queries.