Gardeners delight tomato issue

• 26 Replies

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: Gardeners delight tomato issue
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 11:24 »
Just to clarify, Gardener's Delight is an open-pollinated tomato whose small fruits are prized for their sweet flavour.   A single tomato will probably provide all the seed you need for next year.   My most advanced tomato with Wilko seed is almost orange and I am looking forward to reporting on its flavour in collaboration with my wife.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 11:57 »
It's a complicated issue, but it seems to me that with the drawn out procedure of getting seed to me in Russia, that I should  go for the Sungold. But because I want to save seed for the next year, would this be impossible with them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 13:48 »
If you save Sungold seeds, theoretically, they won't be exactly the same, but many people seem to find they are quite stable, and so no different to the seeds from the packet - so may be worth a try?

Otherwise, I'd recommend  Jaune Flamme as an open-pollinated alternative, the fruits are a little bigger, but they are lovely :)
Send me your address, by pm, and in the Autumn I'll send you some seeds - assuming mine ever...….do...…..actually ripen  ::) It's a weird old year here  :wacko:

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 14:55 »
Thanks mumofstig, for the kind offer, I will try to check somehow if it can even be possible to have a few seeds disguised in a Christmas card or other, and sent direct to Russia. But failing that, I will ask my Russian friend of Polish descent, to come through with what he offered me a while back, namely that of using his connections in Poland if I should require post sent. You've cheered me up, it would be interesting to try one of the tomato that has good taste reviews etc. Good quality seed is a major dilemma for home growers here, the Russians are not on the ball for things like this.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 21:50 »
/quote]
I was tempted last year, but for me, it wasn't a very strong growing plant and the fruits were smaller than I expected - perhaps I was unlucky, but thought I'd let you know anyway  ;)
[/quote]

Off my list now! Thanks for sharing your experience.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2020, 14:36 »
I remember reading in a tomato tasting panel article in Gardens illustrated that gardeners delight has not bred true over the years and is now a different beast from what it used to be. They did not award it top marks. I have grown it and find them bland. I do Tumbler or Sungold. This years Sungold have a lot of flavour. 

AnneB

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 22:29 »
For a sweet cherry tomato that is not an F1 can I recommend Sweet Aperitif?  It is very prolific and very tasty. The only drawback is that the side shoots have a tendency to go berserk, you leave it 24 hours and there are a few more.
It grows ok outside, blight permitting, but does better under cover.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 23:33 »
For a sweet cherry tomato that is not an F1 can I recommend Sweet Aperitif?  It is very prolific and very tasty. The only drawback is that the side shoots have a tendency to go berserk, you leave it 24 hours and there are a few more.

My plot neighbour grows Sweet Aperitif without removing the sideshoots, he gives it extra room at planting and lets it go wild. Very productive, just nip out the top at around four feet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 09:13 »

My plot neighbour grows Sweet Aperitif without removing the sideshoots, he gives it extra room at planting and lets it go wild. Very productive, just nip out the top at around four feet.
I stopped growing it in the greenhouse because of it's mad growth - I've never tried it outside though ::) If I've still got some seeds hiding in the box, I'll try them next year ….

mrsbean

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 22:45 »
Can you plant different tomato plants side by side, can only get 5 each side of greenhouse. Would like to try a few varieties of cherry toms next year. Other side is for bigger toms.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 22:52 »
Can you plant different tomato plants side by side, can only get 5 each side of greenhouse. Would like to try a few varieties of cherry toms next year. Other side is for bigger toms.

Yes, you can  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 00:14 »
My Wilko Gardeners Delight grown outside had good flavour.   In general, outside grown tomatoes tend to have better flavour than those grown inside.    I grew mine in a cold frame as a bush in well rotted manure with a wood ash topping and one feed of comfrey liquid.

xx
Gardeners Delight Tomato

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:18
by sunshineband
xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 00:16
by shokkyy
xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 15:30
by drmoonshine
xx
gardeners delight

Started by trekkles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2021, 23:24
by al78

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 50 queries.