Honey berries

• 3 Replies

chrissie B

Honey berries
« on: July 20, 2020, 15:38 »
Has anyone tried these , I love honey suckel and these look interesting.

Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: Honey berries
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:58 »
When looking for more fruit for the garden I tried the 'Kalinka' variety, along with chilean guava and Japanese Wineberry.  They all ended in the compost as we weren't taken by the fruit and don't have room for freeloaders in the garden.  I guess if space wasn't an issue I'd have kept them but it is, i'd rather eat a blueberry and they certainly aren't as pretty as honeysuckle imo.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:24 »
We got some from Chris Bowers, they so far have been a complete waste of money and space.

But they were planted in 2018 in sub soil (not our fault, we found out after the fact) and survived all year. Meaning they survived the 2018 drought when everything else planted that year died because our allotment site doesn't have on site water. They were moved last year and then again this year. The blossoms fell off this year so no fruit  >:(. But they are nicely bushing up though.

Chris Bowers are the fancy pants plant cultivator who provide plants to industry fruit gorwers.
They do provide 2 plants per pot so they cross pollinate. There are a lot of soft fruit growers in the raspberry belt up here and the James Sutton institute who are dedicating a lot of land to growing these as of last year I believe. They are really throwing money at improving the strains as well because they believe the climate almost up here is good for them. They wouldn't turn the land over to these plants in that acreage if they didn't believe they were a good investment. They could still be growing raspberries there after all which are a known good crop and safe investment.

So all in all a useless post, but it shows how hardy they are.

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 15:27 »
Mine are just 2 plants from homebase £3 each the carnt very big so sharing a pot till I can sort out pot each for them .
I too some wild honey suckel cuttings and planted in various ways so fat the one which trails along ground proving best .
Chrissie b

xx
Honey Berries

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Honey Bees

Started by Hazel Anne on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 22:01
by dereklane
xx
Honey as a rooting compound!!

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 11:57
by greenhead
clip
Honey gold marrow

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2017, 13:39
by ConfusedGardener

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 36 queries.