Should i remove Broccoli cover

• 4 Replies

Tommy54321

Should i remove Broccoli cover
« on: July 15, 2020, 11:40 »
Hi
I have had my broccoli covered by a protecter net, it is now getting a little big for it, my question is should  i remove it and hope that nothing will attack it. I had it on there as the first batch i sowed as something was eating it before it really took off. It has now done well but getting a little big for the net. any ideas?
Thanks

Nobbie

Re: Should i remove Broccoli cover
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 12:15 »
I keep a fine net on brassica the whole time as otherwise it will get eaten, maybe not immediately, but sometimes the pigeon will just decide they fancy It. Also with broccoli I like to keep the butterflies off after a rather unfortunate incident with a caterpillar served on a bed of broccoli for dinner one night :( They are very good at hiding in the florets.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 07:01 »
Pigeons spent all last winter admiring my uncovered broccoli and were first to the best florets come spring.  If I wasn't surrounded by roads and people I'd get an air rifle!  I forgive the blackbird for stealing fruit but I've no love for pigeons.
You need a bigger net!

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 08:18 »
pigeons  meat is getting very popular in some restaurants Hasbeans especially when its fed on your lovely broccoli florets  :D

and i know how you feel about pigeons we have some birds of prey that have been sorting them out here but I always leave my nets on all winter I have some heavy duty scaffold netting that don't rot let um try and chew through that  >:( :D :D so keep on netting Hasbean

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 08:37 »
I'm putting up chicken wire this year as the dog likes to chew the nets (socks, brassica stalks, owt).  I found two big holes in the nets over one bed yesterday.  He gets a jet from the hosepipe if I catch him doing it!

xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
xx
dig in or remove

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 16:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 36 queries.