Slow decline.

• 5 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Slow decline.
« on: July 10, 2020, 13:05 »
I have been witness to my climbing french bean at varying stages of growth from a foot, to a yard to flowering/early fruiting go from just about getting there to now looking like death and no way back. This has been over the last month really, a lot of rain, differing temperatures especially at night. So today I have started 10 indoor pots of runner beans, just because I have finally realised that the frenchies will not miraculously recover. So has anyone in northern-ish UK managed to get anything from runner started this late, I know it's worth a try, but I like to prepare myself for disappointment wherever possible?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Slow decline.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 13:16 »
It all just depends on how early cold weather sets in, some years you can get lucky, they're no hardier than French beans, though. If you've got the space it's worth a try..

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 13:32 »
I thought about digging out the ones that are not going to make it, and when the young ones and weather hopefully coincide, put them in the old places. Would this be ok mumofstig?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 13:40 »
Climbing French beans would be a good choice to grow in your polytunnel if you've got the space as they don't need pollinating by insects and would of course be protected from the worst of any low temperatures.
I've got half a dozen or so growing in a old chicken-poo container (with holes in the bottom for drainage) and they're doing quite well at the moment (pic - these are Cobra - not many beans visible because I've only just picked them!)
cobra.jpg
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 14:12 »
I have been toying with the idea of trying to get french bean under plastic somehow. My polyhouse will have to be a tomato and chillie place each year, because they are both crops that we would not want to replace. I built one of the family daughters a tepee style plastic place that has worked out superbly for her tomato and cucumber, maybe next year I can construct my own one and get the last of my french bean seeds into it. Climbing french bean are unheard of in Russia, they only have the bush ones, so it would be a last attempt as I only have a few seed left, and that is the main reason my last ditch attempt with runner this year.

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 10:31 »
Having just got an allotment myself, I've cheated and bought some dwarf French Beans and Runner Beans (Firestorm and Moonlight).

There's been a fair bit of clearing to do - not helped by an injured back.  But my daughter's going to help, so I hope to get some of them planted this weekend(ish).

We're in Aberdeen (c 57degN, but near the coast).  So I'll let you know how it goes.  The weeds were romping away - probably still are! - so, hopefully, the beans will have fun too.

xx
Chilean guava in decline

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 02, 2022, 13:47
by Candide
xx
Slow

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 16:10
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Going slow...

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 22:09
by sazzy123
xx
Why are butternuts so slow?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 00:25
by chilli-pot

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 44 queries.