Estimano rootstock

• 6 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Estimano rootstock
« on: June 26, 2020, 17:15 »
Good afternoon everyone, 

after not quite a success with Estimano rootstock grafting,  the Estimano plant that is growing well, will the tomato seeds come true, should I keep them and can use them next year?

Cheers,   Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Estimano rootstock
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 17:57 »
If you mean Estamino rootstock, King's says it's an F1, so you can't save seeds.

https://www.kingsseedsdirect.com/rootstock-estamino-f1/p153

jambop

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 20:46 »
Depends what you have grafted onto the root stock. If you have grafted an heirloom variety yes you can save the seeds and the will be the same as the ones you grafted. The plant will not however grow like the grafted one did because it was two different plants.
Just my opinion but while this is the best use of grafting a tomato it allows you to grow a perhaps very tasty old variety that has problems with productivity, diseases and viruses which can be overcome by growing on a vigorous and resistant root stock ... it is expensive... and requires a certain skill level. If you want the same combo you have to graft all over again next year :lol:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 20:54 by jambop »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 09:51 »
Good morning to both of you,
Mum I cannot remember if it was F1 or not!
jambop, I think you have the wrong end of the stick, I've planted a straight Estamino plant as I had no other variety to graft and the Estimano plant is 'rather large but few tom' trusses', the seeds will come from that plant and not from the grafted job. I cannot say what the grafted variety is as we liked the tom fried on toast for breakfast we just call it 'the breakfast tom'!. 

Cheers,  Tony.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:02 »
If Estimano is an F1 variety, you could try rooting a side shoot or two later in the summer and overwintering the plants inside on a windowsill.   Even if they look a bit scraggy by next spring, you could use them for more side shoots to get your root stocks for next year.

I was thinking of doing the same with some of my Crimson Crush and Crimson Blush toms on the plot.  The seeds are expensive F1s and I reckon it is worth a go  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 11:58 »
Hello new shoot, I shall certainly give it a dashed good try!

Cheers,   Tony.

jambop

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 20:23 »
jambop, I think you have the wrong end of the stick, I've planted a straight Estamino plant as I had no other variety to graft and the Estimano plant is 'rather large but few tom' trusses', the seeds will come from that plant and not from the grafted job.

Yes sorry my bad Tony when I saw rootstock I assumed you were growing a tomato you liked on the rootstock... never heard of anybody growing the rootstock only before as others have said it is F1 so very unlikely to be true to type... that is not to say the plants will not have retained some of the Estimano vigour disease and virus resistances ... may be worth saving the seed and trying a few grafts from the plants?

xx
Gisela 5 rootstock

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 15:44
by Trillium
xx
fruit trees on m27 rootstock

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 15:04
by londongardener
xx
M9 apple rootstock staking

Started by Hortic on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 01, 2021, 16:21
by Hortic
xx
Cherry Trees/Gisella rootstock

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 00:03
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 45 queries.