Spinach gone to seed

• 12 Replies

Tommy54321

Spinach gone to seed
« on: June 22, 2020, 11:11 »
Hi
I think my spinach is about to flower (seed), does that mean it is pretty much the end?? Should i remove all the leaves i can now and remove the plant now, make room for something else??  advice please, 1st timer here.
Thanks

AnneB

Re: Spinach gone to seed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 11:16 »
Spinach often runs to seed, but especially so in hot weather, which we had in May.  It is so quick growimg though that I would just re-sow some more.
Alternatively grow leaf beet or perpetual spinach.  It tastes virtually the same- perhaps not quite such a pronounced taste, but is not prone to bolting in the same way and you can often get 2 or at least 1 and a half seasons out of it.

Tommy54321

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 12:06 »
forgot to add that it is beet spinach, big massive leaves  :D

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 13:42 »
Is your leaf beet in its second year?  If so, it is to be expected that it will run to seed about now.  If it is in its first year, you have been a bit unlucky, again I reckon due to the hot weather.   In any case, the plant will need to come out and be replaced.

Tommy54321

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 14:08 »
yeah ok, It is the first year, out of the 6 that i have so far 2 look like they are about to flower, i will check later on and maybe look to removing them

PhilConnors

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 16:27 »
the hot weather drove all of ours to seed quite quickly. Its a shruggy shoulders thing as its the first thing to show the stress of really hot weather. As Anne suggests sow some more and I'd stick it into a successional sowing plan sowing every x weeks to ensure you get a chance. Can always stick it in a pot if it goes too well

mrsbean

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 23:00 »
Pulled a whole row up today, gone to seed. Salvaged the leaves that i could, but hardly any root on them. Row in the shade thriving. Question could i sow more in same place as these were transplanted other row was sown direct thank you

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 08:26 »
Yes, that should be fine mrsbean, but I'd wait until this week has passed.  It's likely to be too hot for germination.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrsbean

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 21:12 »
Thank you Yorkie, will do the same with other veg i need to sow. just hang back till next week x

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 10:37 »
Yes, that should be fine mrsbean, but I'd wait until this week has passed.  It's likely to be too hot for germination.
How hot is too hot for germination? Is this why my pak choi has failed to germinate?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 11:37 »
Time for my annual mention of the chart showing the effects of soil temperature on seed germination (there is a link to it it 'Growing FAQ's'):

https://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

Pak Choi is not specifically mentioned, but it's a member of the brassica family so the figures for cabbage may well be relevant.

More than almost any other crop, the germination percentage falls off a cliff as you go from 99% germination success in 5 days at around 25C, to zero germination at 30C (note these are soil temperatures, on a sunny day soil temperatures are probably even higher than the air temperature at sowing depth.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 10:58 »
Time for my annual mention of the chart showing the effects of soil temperature on seed germination (there is a link to it it 'Growing FAQ's'):

https://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

Pak Choi is not specifically mentioned, but it's a member of the brassica family so the figures for cabbage may well be relevant.

More than almost any other crop, the germination percentage falls off a cliff as you go from 99% germination success in 5 days at around 25C, to zero germination at 30C (note these are soil temperatures, on a sunny day soil temperatures are probably even higher than the air temperature at sowing depth.)

Thanks for this JayG, it is really useful information. A question. I planted them when the temperature was too high. Does this do lasting damage to the seeds or will they all start germinating now the temperature has dropped? If it is the former I will need to sow some more. If it is the latter I need to simply wait.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 12:18 »
Perhaps not surprisingly, different seeds have different tolerances to heat, and it's not possible to know exactly what temperature yours were subjected to anyway.
Best guess is that somewhere around 40C (104F) and upwards is where things could get problematic.

I'd give it a week of what is now cooler weather before giving up on the existing seeds.

xx
Spinach seed

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 21:53
by mumofstig
xx
spinach gone to seed

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 22:33
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Can I start spinach off in seed trays?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 13:45
by Clodagh & Dick
xx
Mice, Spinach Seed, Eaten.

Started by francisgreen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 19:20
by hindy

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 51 queries.