Living with Marestail

• 11 Replies

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Living with Marestail
« on: June 16, 2020, 23:14 »
Hi, first post and haven't used message boards much so please bear with ;) . Have had an allotment for about 9years but this year have taken on a large (3 plots worked as 1) very untidy and overgrown plot .On the first plot i controlled Marestail  by digging and removal of roots in raised beds and laying membrane and slabs for paths. I took this new plot on 1st April, should have guessed there would be problems and the full extent of the Marestail  is only now coming to light, along with bindweed and couch grass - happy days. Weedkiller is working on most of the weeds and im trying different control methods for the Marestail but getting a little disheartened as the two no dig raised beds where i dug to remove as much roots as possible followed by cardboard and well rotted manure already have marestail growing  :(. I realise I'm going to have to live with this so my question is do i just pull up the tops as they appear then hoe the other weeds or avoid hoeing all together. Previously weeded by hand but think this plot is too large to do this.  Also trying cardboard under membrane with wood chippings around wooden raised beds. Will be seiving the soil so am hoping ill be able to just pull out plant with root if it appears, but a bit concerned about using wood chip but i can get loads. Have covered other areas with black plastic for now and may try strawberries through plastic, not sure. So any ideas on how to control/ live with this would be appreciated. Have made good progress and dont expect it to all be sorted this year but looking for anything that will eventually reduce the amount of digging but as it is also on the neighbours plot im interested in what methods others are using. Oh also found very overgrown asparagus beds. Have moved to one area and weed free for the minute but wondered about covering with woodchip as a mulch but have read it might encourage asparagus beetle. I know the ones ive moved may not live but they were just in the way and not my favourite veg. Sorry for the length of the post.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Living with Marestail
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:48 »
Hi there - welcome to the forums!

Since you've asked specific questions about your plot I'll move your thread to the Grow Your Own board where it will hopefully attract replies.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Debz

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 07:57 »
Our allotment has a maretail problem too.  This is our third summer of our first half plot and the marestail is nothing like as bad as it has been.  The root is so deep that you can't remove it completely unless you've got a JCB but we've managed to weaken it significantly by picking the tops off when they stick their heads above the ground.  Took another half plot on this year so we're back to the beginning in terms of marestail. Off with their heads!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:46 »
Hoeing is definitely the way to go.  Others have used the phrase "Never let it see a Sunday" - you'll eventually weaken it if it can't get lots of lovely sunlight to its leaves and thus its root system.

It is prehistoric and can grow through concrete, I believe, so it's hardly surprising that it's come up through your no dig beds!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 09:16 »
I of my 2 half plots was riddled with mares tail & I become very despondent about it to begin with(also had couch grass but I did weedkill that) . After much research I found the best approach was (as advised in one article) to allow it to grow 7-10cms & then gently pull it out until you feel the root snap. This apparently helps to weaken it as it expands a lot of energy in the early growth & then of course without tge growth it can’t photosynthesise. It has really worked for me. I also do no dig (3rd year) so when I’m weeding if I come across any mares tail I trowel it out. The other consolation I found was that because of its long roots it doesn’t take any moisture from my plants. Good luck & welcome to the site
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

MarkC

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 09:45 »
It's endemic in our allotments too. I took on another half plot (the other half of my half plot) over the winter, and it's worse on it, so having to work hard to keep it down. Unfortunately the next door plot is dormant at present due to illness of holder, so it keeps spreading. I have found in my own plot that there is no easy or short answer, just keep pulling it out and it gets better, but doesn't go away. Not sure what does kill it, probably treating with a powerful weedkiller at roots but that isn't feasible for me.

Like cockroaches, it would probably survive nuclear holocaust.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 12:40 »
I have quite a bit too - when you pull it up is composting a no-no?
Rachael

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 12:52 »

I just drop it on the bed where I pulled it and let it dry out in the sun.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 13:23 »
Hi Everyone, thanks for the replies and comfort that others are in the same boat. My main concern was not making it worse by hoeing. Ive read loads but nothing seems to work long term, hence the title of the post. Any thoughts on the asparagus beds and woodchip? Going from a single to four plots this year is a bit overwhelming but it will be great in a couple of years. I need to move the shed and slabs as im giving up the original plot end of September so its been full on  :tongue2:

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 14:03 »
I’d compost the wood chip, particularly if you’re doing more no dig as it encourages slug to hide in it un-composted . Have you heard of the Berkeley method of composting, lots on line & YouTube about it, good if you’ve got the space too

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 18:15 »

I don't compost it or leave it where I have pulled it up.  It roots again from any part of the plant.
I put them in the burning bin.   Charles Dowding's book reckons it has anti fungal properties and you can make a horsetail tea as a plant tonic or even a hair tonic.  Can't say I am keen enough or have the time to try it though.

We sifted a lot of it out in the process of removing rubble, glass, nails and all sorts of rubbish when we first took our plots.  It retreated for a bit but still comes up.  I just pull it when I see it.  At least it is thin and doesn't strangle or smother crops like other weeds I could mention.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 18:27 »
Hi Snowdrops, thanks for the welcome   :D. Just had a look and whilst i have space think it would take a while to get through the woodchip due to the ratio, the majority of my green waste will be marestail LOL. I also work full time so haven't the time to do the regular turning. Raises another point though as to whether to put the compost on soil due to the MT. On my original plot i wrongly put it next to a tree and think all I did was feed the tree as its roots just spread! Lots to think about. Trying to improve planning as last time I kept changing my mind and hadnt really assessed the site before jumping in, lots of wasted time that im keen to avoid this time round.

xx
marestail

Started by asdaboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 23:07
by peterjf
xx
Marestail

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 22:58
by colin120
xx
marestail

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 00:35
by vegmandan
xx
marestail

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 07:16
by mike1987

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 41 queries.