Eleonora beans

• 5 Replies

Yma Ym

Eleonora beans
« on: June 11, 2020, 06:34 »
Hi

Would appreciate some advice. Sown this bean and they are covered with black critters. My question is that I have harvested some beans, will the beans come back or should I uproot the old stock and throw it away please?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Eleonora beans
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 08:26 »
Broad beans are very prone to blackfly - you could try the traditional remedy of pinching out the growing tips to discourage them, but I find them reluctant to shift once established.

Spraying with dilute washing up liquid (no more than about a teaspoon per pint) works quite well for me, although you may have to do it more than once, especially if it rains.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:43 »
There is a BIO product available down here for black and green fly. It is actually an emulsion of veg oil which you spray on , the water evaporates and the flies suffocate don't know if it is available in the UK though.

Yma Ym

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 13:47 »
I've found out that they haven't affected the beans, so I am more concerned if I should get rid of the whole plant once it has a decent crop or it will flower again and give me beans. Of course, with that dirty look, I feel like a bad mother ...

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 15:55 »
See if you have any ladybirds on the beans. I normally spray with dilute washing up liquid but seeing several ladybirds on my broad beans I have left them to eat the black flies.
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 16:24 »
I've found out that they haven't affected the beans, so I am more concerned if I should get rid of the whole plant once it has a decent crop or it will flower again and give me beans
Once they have flowered and set beans, pick the beans when ready and then pull up the plant for compost heap (or dig it in) as they don't flower again.

xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 44 queries.