I've gone back to my old methods

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

I've gone back to my old methods
« on: June 02, 2020, 21:16 »
with the ground being so dry i thought i need to go back to growing in paper pots so i set to and made quite a few I'm trying swede parsnip and carrots in paper pots never had much luck last time with paper pots but see how they make out this time round

years ago we used to grow seeds in blocking compost and I've still got the blocking tool but I've never seen any blocking compost for sale for years round here perhaps they stopped making it ?

and i don't know if you could make your own blocking compost? I'm making my own compost mix at present because most garden centres round here have runout or selling other brands that are double the price what one would usually pay what ever happened to buy three bags  for twelve nicker?

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
Re: I've gone back to my old methods
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 22:00 »
I've used a few varieties of multipurpose compost for making blocks with lots of success. I have had to sieve out large pieces on occasion though. I've also tried peat free but there is nothing in it to make it hold the block together so I have mixed this with some old John Innes no.1 seed compost which has made it stick. When I have time I will mix some peat free compost with soil as I do not want to use any peat in the future. I have yet to try homemade compost. I've found the best mix is something to make it a bit fibrous for root growth and something else to make it stick and it is enjoyable finding a mix I can source year after year.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: I've gone back to my old methods
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 22:22 »
It's been at least 5 years since I did compost blocks but I found that using fairly sodden peat based compost worked well when making the blocks. At the time I would have just used B&Q's own brand.

xx
Hoeing methods

Started by Filament on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 16:48
by woodburner
xx
Minimum Dig Methods ~ Do they work?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 10:52
by flowerpower
xx
Favourite slug methods

Started by Classybird on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 15:42
by Dom2599
xx
Back at last

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 08:11
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 1.061 seconds with 37 queries.