Strawberry patch advice

• 3 Replies

GWR

Strawberry patch advice
« on: May 31, 2020, 19:33 »
My strawberry patch is in its third year. We're harvesting fruit now. There are plenty of berries. The area though is now a little untidy and crowded,  I made the mistake of planting direct and not through a ground sheet. The fruit quality is OK but not as good as other years. My question. When the crop is finished should I look to clear the plot and replant in another part of the allotment or give the existing plot a serious clear up, mulch and grow on for next year? Thank you.

Nobbie

Re: Strawberry patch advice
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 20:14 »
I’d clear and replant elsewhere with new stock rather than waste time on your current patch. I’m in my third year with my patch, but although still very productive, they are not as good quality as last year and I will be planting a new patch in autumn.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 20:20 »
That would be the educated way to do it apparently. If you can get some good runners rooted and then get them into a new bed you should get some next year, I did in my first year, strawberries for what they are are nowhere near as easy to get good crops as you hope for  :lol: I think growing through a weed suppressant fabric is really worthwhile but you really do need to get the feed and water into the ground for descent strawbs in my limited experience ... mind you we do get some very fierce hot and dry weather down here at times.

GWR

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 19:09 »
Thank you for the advice, all very helpful

xx
New Strawberry Patch

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2017, 20:14
by Yorkie
xx
New strawberry patch

Started by niclala on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 22:29
by niclala
xx
Strawberry patch - what to do next

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 14:55
by gavinjconway
xx
old strawberry patch

Started by coco on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 15:37
by coco

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 35 queries.