About to give up with radish

• 4 Replies

Jiskoot

About to give up with radish
« on: May 27, 2020, 20:50 »
I grew some last year and when they were pulled up they were infested with tiny white maggoty things (cabbage maggot?) so didn't get to eat most of them.  Put some more in again this year, in another area, and put down some nematodes when they started growing.  Just pulled some more up and no actual maggots but they've got black spots inside them and look fairly inedible. The leaves have also been attacked by something, at which point I put down some diatomaceous earth that I happened to have (vague chicken keeping dreams!) so they're looking very sorry for themselves. 

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do, is worth just abandoning growing them in the earth and do some in pots, not that I've got any compost or anything at the moment.  Do they need netting of some sort?

I love radishes and was so hoping for a decent crop this year.  I know they're quick growing so wiil get some more in but seems pointless, am on the verge of abandoning the thought of growing them.

Thanks   :)

Growster...

Re: About to give up with radish
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 07:24 »
Radishes are funny things, they either like you or the alternative...

I could never, ever grow the things properly, but this year, I started sowing Annabelle F1 (Unwin) in trays, on a shelf in the GH, and they have romped away!

They seem to have adjusted to the extra heat, care and watering, and have really improved my faith in human nature - for once!

The seeds are big enough to sow separately, so I pop them in at inch and a half spacing, and for the first time in about three-hundred years, have the best results I could wish for!

Have a go, the seeds aren't cheap, but at least you'll get a reliable crop - even in a sunny spot outside if you are without a GH of course!

Best of luck!

(Lucky you, North Devon too)!

jambop

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:43 »
This year I used the Charles Dowding method and sowed three or four seeds per 2cm module and planted out when they were growing well... perfect results! I have to say though I have never had a problem with growing them just this way is very easy you just dib them in when planting.

lettice

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:24 »
Never really have any problems growing radish and not had anything ever attack them.
But I always grow mine in a greenhouse and put on the lowest shelf of a shelf unit, so they are basically on the floor.
I sow them in small tubs about 6" x 4" and 2" deep. Sow thinly about ten seeds in two rows.
I sow regularly, a new tub every fortnight and usually have about twelve tubs on the go at different stages.
I alternate the sowing between the varieties of my favourites, French Breakfast, Cherry Belle and Sparkler.
I use sieved garden soil and have just reused it year on year, with a once a year top up of sieved soil from the garden.
I have heard that adding any garden compost actually makes them fork or grow thin and tall.
Always find with radish, they dry out very quickly and like the dry conditions we have now, would be watering them daily, but as mine are in the greenhouse would be doing that anyway. I also have a tray underneath the tubs, that I fill up with water, so it drip feeds the tubs and keeps the soil moist as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 14:16 »
Lettice, that is such great advice as also is Jambop's!

Mine could go down a bit in the GH now, as the sun is so high, and I suppose that like any root vegetable, they need some space and coolth (?) to grow properly!

I just love these little chaps - they do what small turnips, swede etc', do, but with a bit of a different sparkle, and I'm determined to get them on stream even more now!

When you think that centuries ago, they were one of the main delicacies of any posh dinner, we really do owe them a decent price in the admiration stakes!

xx
i just eat a radish!

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 09:36
by Larry the lep
xx
radish

Started by astokesy on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 20:25
by astokesy
xx
are my radish ok

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 12:30
by savbo
xx
Radish

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 00:06
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 41 queries.