Squash Planting

• 16 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Squash Planting
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 11:24 »
I basically wait until everything else is in and then inter-plant them with stuff I know they won't grow over -  mainly my beans and sweetcorn - it's kind of a messy 'three-sisters' method but always works out ok - I generally plant about 10-12 plants but always about 2-3 foot apart...

That is what I do as well.  I have a large fenced area on the plot (muntjac deer problems) and I have a mix of planting beds and paths.  The squash are destined for the top end on this planted around other stuff.  I train the foliage down the edges of the fence and around the other stuff and let them roam a bit.  When I say train, that consists of me picking up and moving tendrils around areas I want them to keep off and into bits they can creep across freely.

The other stuff they grow around are tomatoes, sweetcorn and beans, so mine is messy 2 sisters, plus a cousin or 2  :lol:

60cm spacing is not really practical. Even a non trailing bush type courgette would be hard to contain within that. You could cram plants into a small bed that close, but you would need a  large clear area around it for the foliage. 

AnneB

Re: Squash Planting
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 14:11 »
Last year I had 1 Winter Luxury pumkin and 1 early summer straightneck squash in 1 bed 10' x 4'.

The pumpkin was rampant and I kept having to persuade it in a different direction so that it didn't crowd out the summer squash.

This year I have put 3 courgettes in 1 bed the same size.  This year's summer squash is in between the dwarf french beans and the sweetcorn.  I have 2 Winter Luxury and 1 Zapolitta di Toscana squash to go out.  They are being planted in a bed I am awaiting clearing - still a bit of a mess but very large, around 15' x 6'.  I will leave them to themselves!

xx
Planting out squash

Started by Ethel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2019, 09:48
by Ethel
xx
Butternut squash planting

Started by pottylotty1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 24, 2017, 21:57
by gobs
xx
Planting squash and pumpkins on a slope.

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2014, 17:16
by gavinjconway
xx
Spud-chasing squash planting...

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2021, 16:17
by Fishplate42

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 39 queries.