White mushroom growing around plants

• 3 Replies

azk404

White mushroom growing around plants
« on: May 17, 2020, 13:11 »
Good day

I've been growing some tomatoes and peppers, which are doing fine, but I have had a couple issues with small white mushrooms growing under certain pots and whitish transparent goo in their water reservoirs. These mushrooms seem to be in places with minimal light so not on soil surface level and they also seem to be accompanied by a gooey residue that I've found in water reservoirs of self watering prop pots/trays. The second time there were a few mushrooms growing under a pot where there was a gap between the pot and some capillary matting.

All the plants seem fine now and they are in their final pots about to be going outside for the night when it warms up a bit, however, as am using some other self watering pots (quadgrow) which also have water reservoirs in dark containers its very possible these mushrooms/gooey stuff may thrive there as well.

So could these mushrooms be coming from the compost I am using? Could they negatively effect the plants if left unchecked? And is there any chemical free remedy I could use or add to the reservoirs to stop the stuff from growing.

I haven't got photos as I got rid of them quickly but they are white, quite slender so skinny stems and taller narrow caps.

--

On another note as well I have notice small black flies chilling on the tomato stems looking almost lifeless. I can pinch them off which no struggle or flying away, drunk on tomato sap I guess? Are these Aphids?

Cheers in advance
A
IMG_9942.jpg
IMG_9940.jpg

jambop

Re: White mushroom growing around plants
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 20:23 »
 Black flies I think are some sort of aphid I get then on my toms give them a spray.

azk404

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:40 »
Cheers I will give the soap and water spray trick a try.

I have also noticed a mushroom I believe grow over night pretty much on some matting and also some tiny white larvae in the water reservoir. Any idea what they could be?

Cheers
A
18eea059-c9c9-463a-8db8-15902ba44b5b.jpg
IMG_9954.jpeg

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 18:03 »
Hi
Welcome to the forum
Just a thought but have you (or someone else) used this equipment before or is it new???
If it has been used before did you give it a good old wash before you started??

Sometimes stored equipment gets dirty and damp and it looks fine on the surface so we use it. If none of the above I have no idea and hopefully someone else will come along and help!! :lol:

Good luck with whatever plants you have on the go  ;)

Twood
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

xx
Mushroom growing kit

Started by Mitchy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 27, 2008, 22:09
by peapod
xx
Tomato plants with dry white leaves.

Started by Ivor Backache on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:48
by Jay Dubya
xx
Strawberry plants - white stuff on crowns

Started by muddywellies on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 07:22
by muddywellies
clip
Help me my bean plants are turning yellowish white...why?

Started by anniebody on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 18:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.094 seconds with 28 queries.