Compost

• 6 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Compost
« on: May 17, 2020, 08:28 »
I note that we don't have a sticky thread on compost this year.

Now that (in England at least) compost is more readily accessible and hopefully available, do people have any recommendations on their experience to date this year? Particularly interested to hear if anyone has had any problems with Verve, Wickes etc as these seem to vary more so than the brands.

I'm in need of another 150L or so for potting on rather than sowing.

rowlandwells

Re: Compost
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:47 »
i know it has been a problem to get compost but i have to say we have been lucky our local garden centre delivered some compost to us the other week there was a small delivery charge but well worth it

anyway we have had very good results from Errin and A/Bowers M/P although i did buy a couple of bales of peat and mixed my own that turned out quite well for potting on never use Verve or Wicks always think its better to pay that little bit extra for a quality product you can trust if that makes sense and i never buy peat free composts can't get on with it at all cost's

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:42 »
I've used Wickes again this year, as it was all I could get delivered, and like last year, it is very fibrous (so no good for small seed sowing) but it's ok for everything else.
It does run out of fertiliser at about 4 weeks, but they all seem to be about the same nowadays, except for the expensive brands. It just means I add a little liquid feed to the watering can now and again;)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 21:09 »
i have used miracle gro multi purpose to grow  trays of peas. compost is quite fibrous/twiggy. some peas have germinated but so have lots of other tiny plants. not very impressed.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 21:21 »
We managed a delivery of Westland Bio3 (with 'added John Innes' - a bit odd that, as J.I. is a method to make the stuff as an entity, but never mind...), but, it was fabulous!

What I liked was the way it takes up watering, instead of the 'pool' on the peaty stuff, (Jack's Magic), which I've sworn by for several years!

But one takes what one can get, so we're happy, as it's all really down to feeding later on, as Mum says!

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 22:10 »
I have used Clover very successfully for the last few years, but decided to avoid peat compost this year.   I bought 6 bags of Moorland Gold at our potato day.   It is recovered peat from reservoirs etc that would be dredged anyway.   It was affordable in single bags at our event but difficult to find elsewhere except in bulk.   It has been quite good for sowing and growing on.
I needed more compost and spent an inordinate amount of money on DalefootWool Compost for Tomatoes delivered to the door.   I justified it to myself on the basis that no compost was to be had elsewhere and anyway it is my hobby so I ordered some.  It is made of bracken and wool and needs no added feed.  It seems very good at holding moisture and the plants in the greenhouse seem very happy with it.  I will be interested in the final results and have done some tests with the same variety in this and the Moorland Gold.
Outdoor tomatoes and polytunnel tomatoes are going in ordinary soil plus comfrey tea though!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 22:58 »
The usual 3 bags for £10 from Asda peat free for me, same good rates of germination and early growth. Anything that is staying pots for more than 4 weeks before planting gets a good dose of manure pellets mixed in with the compost.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.